Thread: Place of Birth Different in Passport and Birth Certiifcate

Default Place of Birth Different in Passport and Birth Certiifcate

Hi All,

I have a different place of birth in my birth certificate (got it recently) and passport. My passport has my home address as place of birth while Certificate has the hospital address.They both are nearby less than 3km.

I have applied for a reissue of passport, to change place of birth in it with the new birth certificate . I have 2 queries.

1. After getting my new passport how do I ask immigration to correct the details
    2. After the correction of place of birth , when I would apply for residency will I be considered under " Instruction A5.25 of the character instructions provides, relevantly:"

i. in the course of applying for a New Zealand visa (or a permit under the Immigration Act 1987), has made any statement or provided any information, evidence or submission that was false, misleading or forged, or withheld material information; or

I am being worried about the issue .What would happen. I have read many cases where people have been denied resident visa for wrong date of birth in previous passport and they have to go back really worried .

You will need to write to INZ and tell them that you have just recently discovered, because of the issue of your birth certificate, where you truly were born, and that you have obtained a new passport which has the correct information on it. Then they can amend your records.

I cannot see any reason why YOU would be blamed for telling what you honestly believed was the truth about your birthplace.

The piece you are quoting from the Character requirements relates to people who deliberately tell lies on their application, trying to get some advantage or other (for instance, claiming a different birth-date so they would get more points towards SMC for seeming younger). There is nothing "false, misleading or forged" in what you submitted to INZ.

Thanks JandM for your response, are you across similar issues that people have faced. Too scared

It is normal to feel very worried - EVERYONE feels like this while having an application considered by INZ, and even more so when they find they have accidentally not done something right. But yes, other people before you have gone through this kind of situation.

You said before, "I have read many cases..." Where have you read them? Can you give me a link?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It is normal to feel very worried - EVERYONE feels like this while having an application considered by INZ, and even more so when they find they have accidentally not done something right. But yes, other people before you have gone through this kind of situation.

You said before, "I have read many cases..." Where have you read them? Can you give me a link?
    Hi if you go to https://forms.justice.govt.nz/search/IPT/Residence/
    and search for appeal no 204257. If you can read once please do

appellant had knowingly relied on Chinese passport with false date of birth in previous visa applications
    Notice the bolding. This is all about that person's wrong intentions - discovering a mistake and concealing it to persist with it, then lying on multiple occasions about what had happened - can be seen in Sections 38 to 51 of the decision document.

It is not about someone finding out, as you have done, that something you have been thinking was correct, actually wasn't.

Also, discovering that you were in fact born, 3km away from where you thought you were, is of no advantage to your case - as I said earlier, it would be blameworthy to claim to be younger than you really are, or it could make things difficult if you discovered that you had actually been born in a different country, but those things do not apply to you.

Thanks JandM for the reply. really appreciate.

Just one query , do you know anyone having similar issue , where either dare of birth or place of birth in passport is incorrect and how did they overcome the situation?

There are several hits here to old threads with people trying to sort out incorrect information. https://www.google.com/search?source...10.nCxci52atno Everyone's situation is different, often involving different countries, so it's not possible to say, 'They all did this, this and this, then it was okay.' The important point is that they are all being HONEST with INZ.