Thread: Skilled work to PR?

Default Skilled work to PR?

I have a quick question. I understand it takes 2 years of having a residency visa before gaining Permanent residency. If I come to NZ for a job on the shortage list (I'm in construction), with what I assume would be under skilled migrant visa, when does the residency visa start?
    Does the skilled migrant visa give you residency from the time you arrive, meaning 2 years after arrival you are eligible for PR?
    Or do you arrive with some other visa that is not the same as residency, then stay awhile before gaining residency, then 2 years after that you can gain PR?

If you apply for Residence under SMC while still abroad without a job offer, and you're successful, you'd be offered the SMC Job Search Visa, which would give you up to 12 months in NZ to enable you to get the offer of skilled employment. Once you have an offer, you show that to INZ, and the deferred Residence comes through once they've checked it out.

If you come to NZ on a visa waiver (which is a Visitor Visa), then get a job offer, you'd probably need to apply for a work visa, probably this one https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ills-work-visa, (because that can be processed MUCH more quickly than Residence) so as not to keep the employer hanging around waiting longer than you can help. At the same time or just afterwards, you can apply for Residence under SMC. This means that you would have started working, entitled by the work visa, but the residence visa processing would be ticking along in the background, taking the time that it takes.

In either case, you wouldn't count as a Resident until the residence visa under SMC had been issued. And it's not until at least two years after that date of issue that you could apply for PR. (There are other conditions, not just the passage of time. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident)

[QUOTE=JandM;576959]If you apply for Residence under SMC while still abroad without a job offer, and you're successful, you'd be offered the SMC Job Search Visa, which would give you up to 12 months in NZ to enable you to get the offer of skilled employment. Once you have an offer, you show that to INZ, and the deferred Residence comes through once they've checked it out.]

Hello JandM,
    So by default Residence under SMC applied from offshore without job offer will always result in JSV if successful? That is the best outcome?

Wishing you a blessed New Year 🙏

Unless the applicant has spent at least two years studying in New Zealand and has earnt him/herself a Master's or Doctorate, a skilled job offer in NZ is necessary to be awarded Residence under SMC directly.
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66762.htm SM1.5 g.