Thread: Timeline of Application of Resident to Permanent Resident?

Default Timeline of Application of Resident to Permanent Resident?

Hi everyone.
    We will be eligible to apply PR in mid Feb but we have to leave NZ for a month for a wedding in mid March.
    I wonder would it be a bit risky if we apply PR directly coz we only have 21 days for the application process and returning of passports by courier.
    It would be great if someone can share the timeframe of your recent PR application?
    Wish you all the best in coming year! Cheers!

I think it sounds risky, having only that amount of time, but there are two schools of thought which have shown up on the threads about it.

Some people suggest being 'safe' by applying further in advance for a Variation of Resident Visa Travel Conditions https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...vel-conditions, to cover you for travelling out of the country and returning, so you can then later apply for PR at leisure.

Other people say they have applied for PR anyway, sending evidence of travel plans for an urgent reason, and have been given priority.

My resident to permanent resident visa took about a month, including processing the application for the passport sticker. I sent it in mid-October 2018 and got it back mid-November. It's supposed to take only 2 weeks for just the PR with eVisa, but it is a busy time of year and you wouldn't want to have your travel plans thwarted. I would apply for the variation of conditions well in advance to be safe, and do PR when you get back.

I'm on the same boat, eligibility is Nov 18 2019 but we have to travel by Dec 5.

Variation of travel condition costs about 210 which is same as PR application.