Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partnership Resident Visa

Default Partnership Resident Visa

Good morning everyone,

My partner just got her resident visa, based on partnership, approved. (Here is a dancing banana sticker ) . She already got the E-visa. We are wondering if we still need to keep collecting living evidence, such as letters to same address etc. for she to apply a permanent resident visa two yrs later?

Thanks advance & Happy new year to everyone in this amazing forum

Congratulations!

No, you can stop collecting evidence now - I bet that's a relief! When your partner applies for residence, all INZ will need to do for her to use the criterion of "time spent in New Zealand" is check their own computer, which keeps details of all comings and goings from the country, so they can easily see whether she has enough days.

Also, unlike previous visas, her PR will not depend on her relationship with you. She was granted Residence because she proved the relationship existed BEFORE that application. Now it is granted, Residence is hers in her own right, exactly like Residence if someone had applied under SMC on the basis of their job and qualifications.

Here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident are the details.

Thanks JandM! Yeah, it is a big relief actually. We'v been collecting those evidence for more than 2.5 yrs.. 3 shoe boxes... Lol. My partner doesn't care about too much of collecting them. I am the one who collect letters, bills and write down what we do in a diary. Holy moly, I am relived now. BTW, I love these dancing bananas LOL

(The yellow dancing banana was here from the beginning, I think, then 11 or 12 years ago, a forum member altered the colour to give us the blue one as well, and the site owner adopted it, because residence visas in those days came in the form of a blue sticker to go in the passport. After all the years of being associated with this forum, any time somebody in real life has a celebration about anything, I find myself thinking in terms of dancing bananas!)

Great story spiderman. A very massive relief.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    She was granted Residence because she proved the relationship existed BEFORE that application. Now it is granted, Residence is hers in her own right, exactly like Residence if someone had applied under SMC on the basis of their job and qualifications.

Here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident are the details.
    Correct me if I am wrong. She will not be able to apply for residency as a non-principal applicant though unless the principal applicant does so. She can submit her PR application with the principal applicant's PR application though.

Coolbeans! It's good to know the story behind the dancing bananas. People doing Floss dance in real life reminds me of the dancing bananas here. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Famed View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong. She will not be able to apply for residency as a non-principal applicant though unless the principal applicant does so. She can submit her PR application with the principal applicant's PR application though.
    In our case, I am a NZ citizen. When my partner applied her residency visa- partnership, she was the principal applicant as I don't need any NZ visa. So I guess we don't have this problem. Sorry I don't have an answer of your question. I think JandM may know.

Yes, Spiderman is correct, Famed. The partner of a NZ citizen or resident holder (who therefore, themself, doesn't need to apply for anything at that time), applying for residence because of that relationship, IS the main applicant in their own right. Whereas, if a couple, or a family, have all applied for Residence together, then only the main applicant has to qualify for PR, and all the others will get their PR at the same time.

Congrats!!! Must be such a relief! Especially because you don't have to worry about anything now!
    I'm still waiting for mine, today is exactly 10 months since the date of lodgement and it's week 5 of 2PC. Add 2 work visas and I've been holding on to every piece of paper I get for the last 2 years.
    Nerveracking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast