Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMC application not yet completed within the specified time frame & possible changes to skilled job

Default SMC application not yet completed within the specified time frame & possible changes to skilled job

Hi again,

I’m one of the hopeful people here who submitted their SMC resident visa application last year. Here is a summary of my timeframe and points breakdown:

ITA submitted: 28 March 2018
    Payment debited: 12 April 2018
    CO first contact, requested for additional docs: 1 June 2018
    Submitted requested docs: 5 June 2018
    CO emailed employers (Primary applicant & partner) for verification: 16 July 2018
    Employers responded: 18 and 20 July 2018
    New CO assigned, email introduction received (NOT 2PC): 24 October 2018
    Emailed new CO for update: 22 November 2018
    CO responded, with no update: 27 November 2018
    Months passed since ITA submission: 9.5 months

30 points: Age
    50 points: Principal Applicant (me) with skilled job offer
    50 points: Recognised qualification
    10 points: Bonus - Recognised qualification studied in NZ
    20 points: Partner with skilled job offer
    Total: 160 points

I know that technically we are still under the specified time frame of INZ (as per the INZ website, 95% of applications are processed within 12 months), but my spouse & I are quite anxious as there might be some changes with his work. His company is currently undergoing a reorganisation, and his manager is considering moving him to a different role ASAP to avoid having the risk of redundancy. But as we are still waiting for the results of our RV application, my partner asked his manager if we can hold it off for a couple more months as we don’t want to complicate things with our application.

Since we are working against the clock here, what would be the best option for us? Should we:
    A. Do a fortnightly status follow-up with our CO - though not sure if a constant reminder will be helpful?
    B. Just inform our CO that the role of my spouse has changed (should that time come) - will this extend the processing of our application?

Or can anyone (probably Janda or Goodhue) let me know of a smarter option?

Thanks as always!

Is the other role he might be moved to also a skilled job?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Is the other role he might be moved to also a skilled job?
    Hi JandM,

Thanks for the quick reply. Since it will also be sort of a promotion on his part, I would reckon that it should be considered as a skilled job. Our main concern would be finding a match in the ANZSCO as the new role is quite unique.

Not thinking about ANZSCO listings for the moment, is it based on the same skill-set as his career so far?

It might be quite different as I believe it is a transition from an operations role to more of an analyst role. Although he would already be familiar with some of the job features as he has been with the company for more than 2 years now and he as been somewhat supporting this team where his manager plans to move him.

And is it in line with his qualifications, or any previous work experience?

If we can use his current work experience at his company (he's been in the same role for more than 2 years in the same company) as a basis of previous work experience, then yes. However, if INZ is strict in a sense that it has to be an experience other than his current role then no since he was doing a completely different role back then. In a way, his current role now can be considered as a transitionary role since it is in line with his previous work experience and his new role (even if the 2 jobs are not related at all).

The thinking behind my previous questions here is as follows.

If you run out of time, that is, if there is no sign of residence being granted on this application at the time when he HAS to agree to move role because of the employer's situation, then he would have to apply for a Variation Of Conditions on his work visa.

This of itself is not a bar to processing continuing on his application for Residence under SMC, but, as you realize, INZ would then have to scrutinize the new job. ANZSCO has a useful designation on the end of a lot of their categories of occupations - "nec" meaning "not elsewhere classified" - for a job that can't be pigeon-holed into one of their descriptions. When INZ come up against one of these, the CO has to look in detail at the job description and responsibilities, and will probably involve a Technical Adviser (a highly trained CO with the right to interpret regulations), to check that this is indeed a skilled job.

ChrisMwn, EGoodhue, can you add anything here, please? (These people are LIAs.)

Thanks JandM as always for your great feedback!

Will wait for ChrisMwn and EGoodhue to share their thoughts on the matter.

But going back to my previous question - can we use his current experience as a recognised previous experience for the new job? Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast