Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: INZ External Check

Default INZ External Check

Hi All,

First of all I'd like to thank all of you for taking the time to comment especially EGoodhue and JandM during one of the most stressful times. So my story and query goes as follows:

I lodged my SMC application on Nov 2017. Since then, i've had 3 CO's allocated. The current CO has had the application with no notes on the system and no updates since October 2018 . As what my LIA advised, my CO just needs to give a decision for the response of the PPI. Today I called INZ (as LIA is still on leave) and was advised that CO is currently doing external checks.. What does external checks entail? If my previous CO's has checked all, is it norm for the new CO to check again even if the new CO has to check only the response to the PPI?

Really appreciate any insight/feedback/experience that anyone might have. This is quite stressful and has put a strain on many things.

Thanks

Sorry to hear that your application has been passed around 3 CO's - that's really poor management on INZ's part! "External checks" probably means that the current CO is carrying out verification checks. This is the problem with an application being 'shared' across too many CO's - one will start the process, but the new CO has to be satisfied themself that the application details meet instructions, regardless of what the previous CO did and thought. This is why passing an application on to another CO is a really bad idea and best avoided as much as possible. At the end of the day, the CO who has to make the decision has to be really certain that they are happy that the application meets instructions, as they have to put their name to the decision, regardless of whether another CO already did some work on it.

Please don't be afraid to ask your LIA to put some pressure on the CO to give a really clear picture of where in the process your application is up to and how much longer it's going to take. The CO will have an idea of how much longer it's going to be and is obliged to be open and honest about this.

I've had 3 COs as well and now my application has been sitting with the ''second person check'' for the last 5,5 weeks.
    Did they mean 4th person check? And it's just a simple and solid family category application with nothing outstanding... At least they've all been responsive and helpful.
    AND when transferred from 2nd to 3rd they transferred between branches and I got a letter saying that I have to wait for 2-3 month to get a 3rd CO. 7 month in!!!
    Luckily I wasn't going to just accept it and my 2nd CO was empathetic so he took it to management and I got a CO in another branch the next day.
    Still pretty unbelievable though.

Thank you so much EGoodhue for your response. It puts me at ease knowing that it is normal for a CO to redo the verification checks. For some reason my current CO does not reply to emails easily. First week Nov, my CO advised that she would give an update on my application in a week, and she has not emailed back since nor has put any notes at all in the system. Even the call centre representatives were surprised as to why there are no notes/updates on my application. Having said that I really appreciate your feedback EGoodhue, I have been depressed because of this.

Ankirs:- initially my application was at Henderson. While some of my colleagues' residency application got approved, my initial CO had concerns about the company sustainability (weird as we produced the same set of financial statements to all the COs), then while we responded to his concerns, he left INZ. Then after 1.5 months my file was allocated to another CO at Henderson. After some time he too decided to leave. At the same time, my original LIA was rude everytime I question about my application and when I ask whether there is something we could do. I was confused what to do rather than just call INZ and check on updates. Then my file was transferred to Manukau branch. Again took 2 months for the file to be allocated to a new CO. I changed my LIA too. This CO never emailed or confirmed that she was handling the file. We assumed that it was under process and after 1 month, when we heard nothing my LIA contacted INZ and was told she is on annual leave. Only then did they reallocate my file to my current CO. Who again kept my file without any process or update. We have tried to email her, call her but no use. finally in november she advised she had just started processing and will give an update in a week and have not heard anything yet from her. No news/updates/ notes on the system. When I called yesterday, the consultant was surprised as to why no notes has been put and she went and checked with someone. only then did she advise me that she is carrying out external checks.

So all in all, I had a mental break down and went to my home country as it was tough to take on the pressure alone. My employer was understanding to let me on leave for a month. So fingers crossed that I dont have to suffer for a long time. Just dont want to go into depression.

I feel you regarding the breakdowns! I've had no issues with my application but the whole waiting game etc... I've had a mental breakdown when I was told about the 3rd CO. And overall, my mental health has hit its lowest point last year and I think this is one of the biggest contributors!
    I've also taken a holiday overseas and with it being so close to an end, I'm better now but still struggling a lot.
    You're not alone!

If your CO is still unresponsive, ask your LIA to escalate it to the CO's Technical Adviser and/or Immigration Manager. I used to be an Immigration Manager (as well as an Immigration Officer/CO before that) and I always expected every single CO in my team to be communicating with every applicant on a regular basis. Good customer service is in an Immigration Officer's performance agreement and they need to be held to account when they're not meeting the expectations - more than 2 months with no updates is definitely not meeting the minimum expectation. Your LIA can easily find out who the Technical Adviser and Immigration Manager are via the adviser enquiries contact.

Sorry to hear it's having such an effect on your mental health - INZ are really doing a terrible job across the board at the moment it seems!

Thanks EGoodhue for your advise. Is there no system at INZ where the Immigration Manager or a TA gets a fortnightly report stating what cases the CO has handled /worked on, etc and also identify what cases have been laying idle. At times it seems ridiculous as to how a file could go on without being processed. When processing an application, does the CO have or need only the information/documents provided by the employer and the applicant? Or do they request information from other government bodies without us knowing? If yes, should the CO put notes on the system so that the applicant is aware when calling INZ? Would that be a reason as to why even the Immigration Manager has not intervened to advise her to start processing the application sooner?

Im so sorry for the all the questions, but as you have been in the system I thought you are the best person to ask these questions. Once again I really do appreciate EGoodhue for you replies.

It's been almost 4 years since I worked at INZ, but when I was there, it was "best practice" for an Immigration Manager to run what was called an 'untouched report' every week, which would bring up all the applications that an Immigration Officer in your team hadn't touched (ie. added meaningful AMS notes to) for more than 10 days, and follow up on this with the Immigration Officer. I'm assuming, based on what you're saying about the progress of your application, that this best practice is no longer happening - which is a real shame.

An Immigration Officer should only be basing their decision on what is on the application file (that is, what is provided by the applicant along with third party information from NZ Police and NSC checks, as well as verification of employment, qualifications and work experience).

Thank you so much EGoodhue for replying. my LIA advised that we will wait till end of next week to follow up again given that Immigration would have commenced work on the 7th. With regards to NSC checks I've given a PCC from my home country and the UK and hope that it does not take another 7 months as per some of the posts in the forum to redo the NSC checks. Hopefully I get some update soon.

But all that aside, I am very grateful to you for replying. Thank you.

Hi Egoodhue,
    I have submitted my Residency application on 9Jan19 but still no confirmation email or fee hasn't been deducted, but someone on this fourm applied on the same day and they have been charged INZ levy today
    Is it common for money not being deducted for my application thats submiited on the same day as her
    Can you please help me with this

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast