Thread: 2pc timeline over the holiday season

Default 2pc timeline over the holiday season

Hey everyone!

Anyone else is waiting for 2pc since before Christmas?

I am waiting since 5 December when I was told that due to the holidays it will take up to 4-6 weeks. Currently, it's been just over 5 weeks and my anxiety is unreal. Like struggling to work unreal. Nothing wrong with the application (straight forward partnership) so I'm probably... sure of the positive outcome. But It's been just a little under 11 months since we've applied and it dragged for so long it came to a point where it's almost physically painful to wait now. (the fact that I really really want to enrol to uni and only have 3 weeks left is not helping!)
    Also, it seems to take around 6 weeks during the normal times, I have a feeling it's sort of an underestimation from my CO?

Anyone in the same boat with 2pc?

*hoping that my status will magically change to APPROVED once I've posted this*

It is NORMAL to feel anxious and tense in this situation, and yes, it can feel like being ill. It's not just you. Adults are used to having some control over things that matter to them, and having NO control over the workings of INZ is seriously unpleasant.

Something you CAN control is what you do about feeling like this. For your own health's sake, deliberately alter your train of thought. Doing something physically demanding often helps, e.g. weeding a garden bed or practising a dance or exercise routine. If you can't do anything like that when the feeling strikes, distract your mind by giving it something awkward to do, such as counting backwards from 1000 in threes, or working out all possible rhymes for 'ab', then change the vowel, then change the end consonant.

Also, it seems to take around 6 weeks during the normal times, I have a feeling it's sort of an underestimation from my CO?
    This is false thinking - trying to get a handle on INZ - because of the tension.

Nobody can ever give accurate timing for when a 2pc will finish; all your CO will have done is made a guess, on the basis of how long (roughly) they had been taking just beforehand (and individual cases within that 'bunch' will have varied, depending on the complexity of the cases, and whether or not the official found anything that needed to be corrected), and added on a handful of days for the holiday closure. You know how INZ works - by date-order queues. When the CO sent your file across, it would have joined the back of the queue. Most of the waiting time for any application is spent by that file working its way up the queue for its turn for attention, as the checking of a straightforward case once it gets there takes little time at all.

All the best, and here's hoping that the magic works.

Thanks JandM! I guess it is alright at home when you have your garden and chores and loved one and things to do but it gets unbearable when you stuck in front of the computer for 8 hours!
    I know all these things but I guess, as a 21-year-old who was left alone at 15 in a foreign country without parents, it is nice to hear these things from an ''adult''

Reading this forum sometimes gives me more anxiety but mostly hepls! I'd be much worth without reading reassuring posts about others' experiences!

Thanks so much. Hopefully comes through next week in time for bf's birthday!

(You can still stare convincingly towards your computer screen while doing the mental exercises... If you can worry while facing the computer, you can "unworry", too. )

Well... 6 weeks have passed and I'm still waiting. Still kinda surreal that it's taking so long.

Hang in there...

You get into a kind of trance with no news, no news, no news, and you'll find that when suddenly there is an answer, you'll hardly believe it happened. All the best.

Hanging in there! practising breathing exercises. Refreshing the website every 5 minutes or so. Reading positive stories on this forum. They mostly comforting.
    trying to avoid ''got my residency approved in 2 weeks'' - they make me sad.

You’re not alone..... mine is about 5 months now, I don’t even bother to check as my work visa is still valid till April.... I just stay positive...... the last time I had am email from them was before Xmas asking me get every bills stamped by a jp.

Since then, no communication whatsoever and I just leave it that way.... no news is good news

Thats the way @eaglekiwi. Being patient is the key. My 2PC took 3 days

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglekiwi View Post
    You’re not alone..... mine is about 5 months now, I don’t even bother to check as my work visa is still valid till April.... I just stay positive...... the last time I had am email from them was before Xmas asking me get every bills stamped by a jp.

Since then, no communication whatsoever and I just leave it that way.... no news is good news
    I was going to start uni in Feb and I only have 2 weeks left to do so. Can't stand the thought of spending another 6 months without studying