Thread: Interim Visa for visitor - Please help me!!!

Default Interim Visa for visitor - Please help me!!!

My parents got visitor visa on 15th of Nov 2018. I sponsored for them and my dad was the primary applicant and my mother was the dependent applicant. The visa was granted just only for one moth since my dad could stay with us only for one month. So they came to NZ on 19th Dec 2018 and visa was valid until 19th of Jan 2019. Yesterday my dad left and still my Mom stays with us. Then We wanted to apply an extension for her. So today I applied another visitor visa by putting her as a primary applicant. As I know once my mumÂ’s visa gets expired and she has already applied for an extension she will be granted interim Visa and it will be valid until immigration takes the decision. But since I have applied extension very close (Only 5 days left for the expiry) to the current visa expiry date, I'm so scared whether she can get the interim visa or not. If she doesn't get interim visa after her visa expires, she immediately becomes unlawful person and I don't want or take that risk.

So can you please advise me is there any possibility to not get interim visa for her before her visa gets expired?

Today I called immigration and they told me if my mum's has clear history and since she has already applied for an extension before her visa gets expired, she should be granted interim visa.

Actually this is their first time visit in NZ and she has very clear history. She has 5 years visa in UK as well.
    But even how much clear her history, I'm pretty nervous and pretty concern about this matter.

Please advise me

Since INZ started the Interim visa system, we have not seen on the forum any case where someone with no problem history did not get their Interim visa.

It is normal to be anxious when you have an application in to INZ, but really, this is not risky at all for your mother.

Incidentally, although INZ will grant the Interim visa to run from the day her visitor's visa expires, it is quite normal if she doesn't get notification of this until several days (or even a couple of weeks) later. That is normal, and just a matter of office work, and shouldn't be taken as meaning there is any problem.

Hi JandM,

But what will happen if they issue interim visa after my mum's visa expires? That mean if she is in period where she doesn't have a valid visa to stay until she gets the interim visa?

Notification of an interim visa reaching her isn't the same as issuing it. It's officially issued on the day the existing visa expires.

I mum got interim visa last night

There - now you and she can relax.