Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: ITA Lodgement December 2018

So i have received a response from the Ombudsman.

1) They cannot comment on the processing time of my application, as I had not offically complained to INZ. To be expected I suppose.

2) In answer to INZ prioritising applications, they did state the following:
    "Further, with reference to your concerns about the prioritisation criteria for residence class visas,
    you will note that immigration instruction A16.1 sets out the ‘General Instructions as to the order
    and manner of processing residence applications’. You will also note that section 26(4) of the
    Immigration Act 2009 provides that:
    ...the chief executive may give general instructions to immigration officers and refugee
    and protection officers on the order and manner of processing any application or
    claim, or specified classes of application or claim, and, if so, an immigration officer or a
    refugee and protection officer must process an application or claim in accordance with those instructions"

Basically stating INZ are just following instructions given to them by the 'chief executive'.

Hopefully someone who has taken the correct steps and complained to INZ first will get a better response than this!

This is how I read it, they are saying we can not do anything about it.

I am writing in response to your feedback which was sent by online feedback page and received by Immigration New Zealand (INZ) on 03/02/2020. Your feedback has been referred to me as an Immigration Manager at the Manukau Office and, having reviewed your correspondence and the file concerned, I am now in a position to respond on behalf of INZ.

I understand the principal grounds of your complaint to be the following:

1. Immigration Instructions A16.1 only specifies Skilled Migrant Category (SMC) applications with job offers will have priority and does not mention the prioritisation of applicants who earn $50 or more.

2. It appears to you that no applications outside the priority criteria have been allocated since August 2019 and you query the solution to handle the back-log of applications already lodged.

3. The website timeframes are not accurate.

4. You wish to know how many applications were received in November 2018 as opposed to December 2018.

5. The delays experienced by applicants are unfair.

INZ’s response

Ground 1:
    Immigration instructions A16.1 sets out three tiers of priority for residence processing (first, second, and third). All those listed under A16.1(a) are considered first priority. Immigration New Zealand has the discretion to prioritise applications within the confines of this including those applicants who earn $50 or more.

Ground 2:

While I recognise that allocation timeframes have increased, Immigration New Zealand's residence processing at the Manukau Office is resourced to meet the New Zealand Residence Programme (NZRP) Planning Range set by the Cabinet (of the New Zealand Government). The NZRP planning range for 2020 has yet to be announced.

Immigration New Zealand may allocate applications more quickly than others for various reasons or circumstances. Approximately speaking (and not intending to cover every possible scenario), this may include applicants who had their SMC applications deferred after being granted Job Search Visas but now have job offers or the deferral period has passed, applications returned from the Immigration and Protection Tribunal for re-assessment, and any applications that have been escalated through the Employment Visa Escalation process. Applications which meet the following criteria may also be allocated more quickly:

Applications lodged under the Residence from Work, Talent – Accredited Employer category; OR
    Applications where the Principal Applicant (PA)’s pay meets the high remuneration threshold (which is currently $50+ per hour or salary of $104,000+); OR
    Applications where the PA works in an occupation that requires occupational registration and the PA holds that registration.
    Please note the above is subject to change at any time.

Ground 3:

Please note the website indications are not a guarantee of timeframes for specific applications and only display an average. While they may be useful as an indication, the displayed averages should therefore not be misunderstood as a service guarantee. However, I thank for your feedback on this point.

The timeframes are an average dataset drawn from applications already decided. I do though acknowledge the natural limitation of this information will mean it does not yet reflect the processing timeframes of applications still active (including those pending allocation). I would expect that over time, increasing timeframes will be reflected however as these applications are eventually decided. As I understand has been communicated to you, Immigration New Zealand has experienced a significant increase in the number of applications received which has resulted in increasing timeframes for allocation.

Ground 4:
    Your request for this information has been passed to appropriate team who assess all information requests under the Official Information Act. They will be in touch in due course.

Ground 5:

We do understand that the increasing number of applications made and the subsequent effect on timeframes may be frustrating for many applicants. To assist those with urgent circumstances, we have an Employment Visa Escalation process which I see you have made an unsuccessful request through. If your circumstances change you are welcome to submit a new request.

This was my complaint response from INZ yesterday. Nothing useful to be expected. I will start now on my email to The Ombudsman & Audior General

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    So i have received a response from the Ombudsman.

1) They cannot comment on the processing time of my application, as I had not offically complained to INZ. To be expected I suppose.

2) In answer to INZ prioritising applications, they did state the following:
    "Further, with reference to your concerns about the prioritisation criteria for residence class visas,
    you will note that immigration instruction A16.1 sets out the ‘General Instructions as to the order
    and manner of processing residence applications’. You will also note that section 26(4) of the
    Immigration Act 2009 provides that:
    ...the chief executive may give general instructions to immigration officers and refugee
    and protection officers on the order and manner of processing any application or
    claim, or specified classes of application or claim, and, if so, an immigration officer or a
    refugee and protection officer must process an application or claim in accordance with those instructions"

Basically stating INZ are just following instructions given to them by the 'chief executive'.

Hopefully someone who has taken the correct steps and complained to INZ first will get a better response than this!
    Disappointing. I read s26(4) of the Immigration Act as pertaining to individual applications, not tens of thousands of them. Although it does refer to "specified classes of application". I guess an OIA request would be the only way to find out if the Chief Executive has given such a directive (highly doubtful).

Just as a side note to the various posts about the delays in SMC processing timeframes, the chairperson of NZAMI (New Zealand Association for Migration and Investment, which is a professional body for immigration industry professionals, like LIAs and immigration lawyers) has requested an urgent meeting with the Minister of Immigration to discuss the SMC backlog and INZ's plans going forward. NZAMI is a well-respected organisation and has good rapport with INZ and the Minister, from what I know of them, so I hope that they can secure a meeting soon and get some helpful answers. Will update when I know more.

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    Just as a side note to the various posts about the delays in SMC processing timeframes, the chairperson of NZAMI (New Zealand Association for Migration and Investment, which is a professional body for immigration industry professionals, like LIAs and immigration lawyers) has requested an urgent meeting with the Minister of Immigration to discuss the SMC backlog and INZ's plans going forward. NZAMI is a well-respected organisation and has good rapport with INZ and the Minister, from what I know of them, so I hope that they can secure a meeting soon and get some helpful answers. Will update when I know more.
    Thanks Erin.. You have always stood by us.. Thanks for all the help and support..!
    Nice to know some movement happening.. Hope some good news will be rolled out shortly...

"squishmaster"
    INZ response on time from for allocation

https://fyi.org.nz/request/11976/res...nd%20dated.pdf

Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4243444546 ... LastLast