Thread: Resident Visa holder entering and leaving NZ with different passport

Default Resident Visa holder entering and leaving NZ with different passport

Hi,
    Would like to seek your advices. We have NZ resident visa (eVisa) linked to a passport and we booked flight to enter NZ in Jun. Since our passport will be expired during our stay in NZ, we need to renew our passport when we are in NZ so that we will have a valid passport when leaving NZ.

My questions are:

1. Use renewed passport when leaving NZ: Can I enter and leave NZ with the renewed passport? I know it is not allowed for visitor to enter and leave NZ using different passport, but as a resident visa holder who will stay for an extended period of time in NZ, renewing passport is often inevitable.
    2. Use passport of another country when leaving NZ: same as above, but instead of renewing my passport, can I use passport of another country (different from the country issuing the passport when entering NZ) when leaving NZ?
    3. Transfer of eVisa: Do I need to transfer my eVisa to the new passport (renewed passport or passport of another country) before leaving NZ or I just need to have eVisa on the passport entering NZ, not both?

Thank you!

If I were in such a situation, I would transfer my visa to my new passport as soon as it is received, without delay. Best way to avoid any border-related problems, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    If I were in such a situation, I would transfer my visa to my new passport as soon as it is received, without delay. Best way to avoid any border-related problems, in my opinion.
    Thank you Kelerei.

We get valid passport with eVisa linked to it, but the passport is closed to expiry. It will still be valid when we are entering NZ, but it will be expired before we are leaving NZ. We wish to renew the passport now but the problem is that there is not sufficient time to renew our passport and transfer the eVisa to it before we travel to NZ. Therefore we plan to renew the passport in NZ and do the eVisa transfer before we leave NZ.

So we will enter NZ with a valid passport with eVisa and leave NZ using the renewed passport with eVisa. Is it acceptable to INZ?

We understand visitors should enter and leave NZ with same passport, but don't know such restriction applies to resident visa holder as RV will stay in NZ for years and there is a high chance that the passport will get expired.

Thank you!

I think when you hear that the authorities require you to leave on 'the same' passport, it means a passport from the same country. That would mean there is no problem with leaving on your new (renewed) passport, but you would need to have notified INZ of your new passport number so that the Residence eVisa can be updated (linked to the new passport). See here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a-new-passport

Thank you very much JandM and Kelerei!