Thread: SMC Work Relocation

Default SMC Work Relocation

Hi All,

Thank you for the help so far! I have got yet another issue and would appreciate any comment on the matter.

I have submitted my SMC residency application in November and am currently still waiting to be allocated to a CO.
    I have claimed points for work outside of Auckland which has got me to 170 points and allowed me to submit my application.

I have been in my current position for 7-8 months now in Christchurch (I asked to be transferred from Auckland so that I could be qualified for residency).

However, my employer would like me to be relocated back to Auckland - and I am not certain whether that would affect my application badly.

I have talked to immigration directly and their response were quite inconsistent...
    - First time was about a year ago, I did ask them out of curiosity and the answer was that it would be fine as that would have been outside of my control... (I am not sure exactly how experienced this person is, but the lady seems to know what she was talking about).
    - Now I know things could possibly change after a year, so I rang them again today. The initial response was that I would be fine, since they would be looking at whether I was there at the time the application was made.
    - But just to double check, he put me on hold and consulted with a senior. Now his senior said that the relocation would directly affect my application and that I probably should reconsider it.

I am not sure which part of information I should trust, and I am hesitant on ringing them again as I fear that the answer might be different this time as well.

Any kind of experience / advice for similar situation / circumstances will really be appreciated. Thanks!

If you relocate before your SMC application is finalised, you are obliged to tell your Case Officer (once you are allocated one) of your change in circumstances. Your Case Officer would then base their assessment on where you are working at the time they assess and verify, so if you are back in Auckland by that time, you can't be awarded the 30 points for employment outside of Auckland (meaning your application points would fall below the minimum 160 points). An application is always assessed on the details that are current at the time the Immigration Officer is assessing and deciding - so if they've changed since you lodged the application, this can either work in your favour or, in your case, work against you.

There have been cases on the forum where we have seen people lose points in the way EGoodhue mentions. If at all possible, persuade your employer to hold off on moving you back till after you have your residence.

I see! That make sense. Thank you both for the answers, that really help clear things up!

I will have another discussion with my employer