Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanent Residence Approved, no new sticker

Default Permanent Residence Approved, no new sticker

Hi all,

My wife now has her permanent residence, but immigration have not put a new sticker in her passport, I thought they would replace the residence sticker they gave her with travel conditions on it so she could come and go from NZ on here passport as she pleases.

Instead they have left the first residence sticker in her passport (the one that has the date in which the travel conditions expire) and provided a letter on an A4 piece of paper that says she must carry that with her passport when traveling so she can get back into the country.

To me this seems a bit backwards, its like an E-Visa for NZ which she has to carry along with her passport, the reason it seems a bit backwards is because I was expecting the practical thing to have done would be to put a new residence sticker in her passport with no travel conditions on it, allowing her to leave and return to NZ as she pleases. Carrying an A4 piece of paper around (even if folded up) seems a bit of a hassle and the chance of loosing it would be a lot higher than loosing a passport (I can imagine it getting mixed up with other travel prints out such as accommodation and then thrown out with them).

So is this the norm and has anyone ever lost this bit of paper while out of the country on holiday and had trouble boarding their flight home?

The e-Visa is now the norm. After asking for others' experiences with it, I opted to pay the extra $130NZ to have a visa sticker in my passport. Here is the INZ page with info on how to get it.

I don’t really get this either - why do they call it an eVisa if it’s an actually printed piece of paper, and then they might as well put it in your passport?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewKiwi View Post
    The e-Visa is now the norm. After asking for others' experiences with it, I opted to pay the extra $130NZ to have a visa sticker in my passport. Here is the INZ page with info on how to get it.
    Thanks for that, so they charge $130 to put a label in your passport, considering you pay a fair bit for the first application anyway that's a bit extreme and from memory there is no option to request a label in the PR application, you have to wait until its approved and send it back to request a label. All seems a bit crazy haha.

That said, if she applies to have a label in her passport (and gets it) she can dispose of the E-Visa/Letter right? The new label will contain all the info it needs to so she can travel as she pleases only needing her passport?

I never got the eVisa letter, as I sent in the PR application and Visa Sticker application at the same time. But I would assume the eVisa letter would no longer be necessary.

Personally, I prefer no sticker because passport could expire, rendering the sticker to be invalid as well since it is tied to the passport number . For some countries like Malaysia, the maximum validity of a passport is only up to 5 years and will have to renew after that.

As for losing the paper, try folding and storing it in a passport jacket. I have been doing that for two years. For backup, store a copy of that eVisa in PDF format in your smartphone as well.
    Last edited by lousy.engineer; 28th January 2019 at 10:07 AM.

I'd suggest write to INZ and provide your suggestions/feedbacks. You would get a standard respond but at least they know Resident Visa Holders are not happy with the e-Visa.

e-Visa is more suitable for temporary visa holders that are valid for less than 1 year. Physical stickers should be issued for visas that's valid says 2 years or longer.

Quote Originally Posted by lousy.engineer View Post
    Personally, I prefer no sticker because passport could expire, rendering the sticker to be invalid as well since it is tied to the passport number . For some countries like Malaysia, the maximum validity of a passport is only up to 5 years and will have to renew after that.

As for losing the paper, try folding and storing it in a passport jacket. I have been doing that for two years. For backup, store a copy of that eVisa in PDF format in your smartphone as well.
    The visa, whether in printed form, or that stored electronically is tied to the passport. You cant travel on a visa that was originally issued to a previously expired passport. When you passport expires you also need to apply for a new visa (label or evisa)

From what I’ve seen you just need to inform INZ of your new passport details?

That’s what I like about the eVisa but it would be good if it was actually “e”, you could have the letter in your email as security for overseas ports or in the online INZ portal.

[QUOTE=Nether111;577662]From what I’ve seen you just need to inform INZ of your new passport details?

see https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a-new-passport

Note Form and fee required
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 28th January 2019 at 12:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast