Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EOI Declined

Angry EOI Declined

Hi All,

I have submitted my EOI for SMC with Job code 261112(Systems Analyst).
    INZ had reduced the points that I have claimed and the points awarded following the credibility check has come down from 205 to 100.
    I have completed my Level 7 in IT and I'm getting 50 points for that.
    Problem is that INZ has advised I can't claim points for Skilled Employment because of this Reason - "As your qualification is not a bachelor degree or higher and you have five years of relevant work experience, it appears you are not suitably qualified to claim points for a Systems Analyst as per ANZSCO. Therefore, we are unable to award you points for skilled employment."

I'm amazed to see this response as many people who have completed Level 7 qualifications have been granted SMC.
    Is there anyone here who has claimed points for a similar degree or anyone who has a better Idea about this situation.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Cheers.

Where is your qualification from? Has it been assessed by NZQA (or is it included in the list of exempt qualifications)?

Quote Originally Posted by IT_GUY View Post
    Hi All,

I have submitted my EOI for SMC with Job code 261112(Systems Analyst).
    INZ had reduced the points that I have claimed and the points awarded following the credibility check has come down from 205 to 100.
    I have completed my Level 7 in IT and I'm getting 50 points for that.
    Problem is that INZ has advised I can't claim points for Skilled Employment because of this Reason - "As your qualification is not a bachelor degree or higher and you have five years of relevant work experience, it appears you are not suitably qualified to claim points for a Systems Analyst as per ANZSCO. Therefore, we are unable to award you points for skilled employment."

I'm amazed to see this response as many people who have completed Level 7 qualifications have been granted SMC.
    Is there anyone here who has claimed points for a similar degree or anyone who has a better Idea about this situation.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Cheers.
    I guess it's clearly stated on ANZSCO website that you need to have a qualification commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher to apply under skill level 1 occupation. Even though it's the same level 7 qualification they still consider it very different as for bachelor you need to study for full 3 years instead of 1 year.

Normally, you can use your qualification from your home country which hopefully a bachelor degree and therefore you can reapply under a System Analyst occupation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshinenz View Post
    Where is your qualification from? Has it been assessed by NZQA (or is it included in the list of exempt qualifications)?
    My Level 7 in IT is from Auckland, hence it doesn't have to be assessed by NZQA.

Quote Originally Posted by cakes88 View Post
    I guess it's clearly stated on ANZSCO website that you need to have a qualification commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher to apply under skill level 1 occupation. Even though it's the same level 7 qualification they still consider it very different as for bachelor you need to study for full 3 years instead of 1 year.

Normally, you can use your qualification from your home country which hopefully a bachelor degree and therefore you can reapply under a System Analyst occupation.
    Unfortunately, my Bachelors from Home country is not an IT degree but a business degree.
    I'm quite surprised that the qualification gained in NZ is not good enough for applicants to claim points as most of the people usually enroll in a one year level 7 or 8 programs rather than a 3-year program.

It will be a different story if you took level 8 program but you can try to use you bachelor degree if you think that degree can be applicable to your current occupation.

Quote Originally Posted by cakes88 View Post
    It will be a different story if you took level 8 program but you can try to use you bachelor degree if you think that degree can be applicable to your current occupation.
    Hi,
    Unfortunately, my Bachelors from Home country is not an IT degree but a business degree.

Hi IT_GUY you must have claimed points under LTSSL, if you did this then your degree must match at least one of the degrees that they deem acceptable for 261112 Systems Analyst...

- A bachelor's degree at NZQF Level 7, or a higher qualification with a minimum equivalent of 360 credits, which includes the requirements of a New Zealand major in one of the following focus areas: Business Information Systems, Computational Intelligence, Computational Modelling, Computer and Electronic Engineering, Computer and Information Science, Computer and Mobile Systems Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Networks, Computer Science, Computer Systems, Database Architecture, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Electronics, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Electronics and Computer Engineering, Electronics and Computer Systems, Electronic Engineering, Information and Communications Technology, Information Management, Information Science, Information Security, Information Systems, Information Technology, Internet Technology, IT Service Science, Multi-Media, Multi-Media and Web Development, Networks, Network and Communication Engineering, Networks and Security, Network Engineering, Programming, Software and Information Technology, Software Development, Software Engineering, Systems Design, Systems Development, or Telecommunications
    - A Seoul Accord or Washington Accord or Sydney Accord accredited undergraduate (initial) degree (listed - see Note 3)
    - A qualification at NZQF Level 7 or higher, with a letter from IT Professionals New Zealand certifying that the degree and any further learning meet the benchmark requirements towards Chartered IT Professional New Zealand status
    AND
    a minimum of three years' relevant post-qualification work experience.

To claim LTSSL points you must have the exact degree in the list plus the required number of experience post-degree completion. I suppose any experience gained prior to completion of the degree had not been counted...

Maybe edit your EOI and not claim points for LTSSL? I'm surprised they didn't do this themselves though...

Just to clarify... your five years work experience had been gained prior to getting the NZ qualification?

Allune, thanks for all this help. Please can you post the link to connect to this part of the INZ regulations, so people reading this later can refer back to where it has come from?

Hi allune,

Thanks a million for your help, This negative decision really got me super depressed but I assume there is hope.

"Maybe edit your EOI and not claim points for LTSSL? I'm surprised they didn't do this themselves though... " - You reckon that should be enough for the application to be picked up in the next draw and get Selected?

Thanks for pointing that out, Yes I did claim points for LTSSL which is not really required as I'm able to reach 160 without that easily, I already have 100 and just need (50+30) for (Skilled Employment+Skilled Employment outside Auckland) and that will get me to 180 which I believe is enough to get the wheels turning.
    I'm Super surprised too as a co-worker got his SMC approved and he only has a level 5 in IT.
    My experience is less than 5 years and I started working full time circa Jan 2016 and all of it is NZ experience.
    Below I have posted a tally of what happened to the points claimed.
    Area
    Points Claimed
    Points Awarded
    Skilled Employment
    Skilled Employment outside Auckland
    Skilled Employment in long term skill shortage area
    Qualification
    New Zealand basic qualification
    Skilled work experience
    Work experience in New Zealand
    Work experience in long term skill shortage area
    Total