Thread: Applying for Silver Fern Visa while on holiday in NZ

Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask if it is possible to apply to a silver fern job search visa if you're visiting NZ. As far as I am concerned INZ does not consider that you live in the country if you hold a visitor permit and you leave when you're supposed to (avoiding breaking your bona fides as described in their website). I post this because I read some time ago that someone asked about applying for a silver fern while holding a work and holiday visa. Most of the things I've read on the internet said you must be out of NZ. However, the criteria clearly says 'living'. Perhaps it is if you stay more than 3 months in a 12-month period?
    Last edited by TaylorMartin; 3rd February 2019 at 10:36 PM.

The INZ operational manual specifically says you must "be outside of New Zealand". WL2.10 b, here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#34513.htm There's nothing there about "living", which could be interpreted in more than one way.

Thanks for the quickreply JandM! However, it says that 'to be granted' a silver fern visa you must be out of NZ. When you apply they don't grant you that visa as you need to give them evidence for them to decide. I think there is a difference between 'applying' and 'granting' a visa. I still do not think it's that clear because their website says that you must be living outside (https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ZL&applying=no) but the operational manual only talks about requirements to grant a visa. What do you think? Cheers!

You can wait and see if anyone has actually tried to apply for Silver Fern while holidaying in NZ, and cares to come onto the thread and tell you what happened. Or you can contact INZ, ask the question, and get the official answer.

It's obvious what you would LIKE to be the answer to this, I presume because you're planning to be in NZ at the time applications may next open. However, what matters is not what you want the rules to mean, or the way I read them. There IS a *correct* interpretation, and only INZ can tell you what it is. It would be a terrible waste of mental energy to go through all the tension of trying to get an application in within the few minutes before all the places are allocated if you didn't have a chance because of where you were at the time, and the technology could pick it up.

I've just had another thought which may help you. Everyone has to apply online, on the day applications open, giving all details of themself and their qualifications and experience (if any), and paying by card. The first 300 people to do this, and who appear to qualify, are told they have a place, then there is a time limit given for them to submit proof. Of course, if they do not reply in time, or they turn out not to be properly qualified after all, they do not get a visa, and this place in the quota becomes available again. Therefore, even if someone does not get one of the 300 places on the day, it can be worth their time to go back to the Silver Fern page a few weeks/months later, even though the page MAY say that there are no places available, and try to apply - several forum members have done this, and got one of these 'second chance' places. You might be able to do this for one of the November 2018 Silver Fern places.

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorMartin View Post
    Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask if it is possible to apply to a silver fern job search visa if you're visiting NZ. As far as I am concerned INZ does not consider that you live in the country if you hold a visitor permit and you leave when you're supposed to (avoiding breaking your bona fides as described in their website). I post this because I read some time ago that someone asked about applying for a silver fern while holding a work and holiday visa. Most of the things I've read on the internet said you must be out of NZ. However, the criteria clearly says 'living'. Perhaps it is if you stay more than 3 months in a 12-month period?
    Hi mate,

I can tell you that you must be outside NZ when you are trying to apply the silver fern visa. That's how INZ told me as I called them ask the same question like you. You can call INZ to double check. I was a tourist at that time, but I temporarily flied to AU when I tried to apply silver fern visa.

Silver fern visa? I tried - the website was jammed instantly when it became available. I kept getting no connection errors from my browser. and then when I could finally connect, all the spots were taken.

If you are serious about moving to NZ for work, recommend you try another way. For practical reasons.

good luck.

You could try again - see the end of my post above. It's worked for some.

It worked for me! Two and a half years and counting - just applied for permanent residency :-)

You need to be very prepared and have fast internet - maybe at a University.

If you’re thinking of doing a working holiday you could plan to be in Aussie during application and if you get the visa you don’t return.