Thread: Citizen by descent application

Default Citizen by descent application

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience in applying for NZ citizen by descent? My mother was born there and I was born in Scotland. I have two issues: The application asks for the NZ parent to fill in a section but this is impossible as she is dead (died in New Zealand too if this is important). Issue 2: Another section must be filled in by the 'other parent' who I am estranged from. I am 36 and haven't been under anyone's parental care for a long time.

I'm not really sure how to complete the form in this situation. I can get my mothers birth and death certificate which proves her nationality but I would really rather not have to contact my father.

Apart from this, how did people find the process in general?

Thank you!

Did you see the FAQ?
    https://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.n...Document#seven
    I am not in contact with one or both of my parents. What should I do?
    If you are not in contact with your claim parent, you must provide original documents that show proof of their New Zealand citizenship. This is to enable a claim to citizenship by descent to be determined, these include:
    Claim parent's New Zealand birth certificate; or
    New Zealand Citizenship Certificate.
    Please contact us if you require further assistance.

Claim parent deceased
    If the claim parent is deceased an original death certificate needs to be provided.
    I suggest you email DIA and ask them about filling out the forms, they're usually pretty easy to deal with and then you'll know you've got the correct info.
    I applied for citizenship by descent for my son when he was a baby and it was a very easy process, your situation is more complicated though.