Thread: Mid-skilled but only approved for 1 year work visa

Default Mid-skilled but only approved for 1 year work visa

Hi guys,

Just got my new Essential Skills Work Visa approved yesterday and when my LIA sent it to me, only approved for 1 year even though it states that I am considered as mid-skilled.

Any idea why is it?

Thanks in advance.

I think you are also applying for Residence under SMC - is that right? See WK3.20.10. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66937.htm

hi JandM, Yes, I am applying for Residence under SMC. Thank you for the link.

Hi JandM, my LIA has enquired to my case officer as to why I was given only 1 year work visa and here is his reply:

"Thanks for your email. Yes I have decided to give your client a one year visa.

Your client claimed to be an ANZSCO level 1 sales and marketing manager. However his employer has had no previous interaction with INZ and has only been in operation for 8 months. The business also only has two employees according to the employer supplementary form. I have concerns regarding to the extent of his managerial authority. Under normal circumstance, I will conduct interview, verification and ask for employer's financial reports. However as he has received his EOI, therefore I have decide not to PPI on these issues, and have instead issued a one year visa to allow his family to remain in NZ so that his SMC can be assessed."

Any advice?

To get your residence visa, your job will need to match the ANZSCO description, and your employer will need to provide a job description for you which describes exactly how in your day to day work you match up to each line - your job needs to be as close a fit as possible. You now know exactly what the CO this time was concerned about, so you need to hope that in the course of this next little while, the business evolves so that you have demonstrable management authority, which the CO verifying the residence application will be able to be reassured about. When it comes to the financial side of the business being investigated, your employer can be reassured that you, his employee, don't get to know anything about his private business affairs, financial and business plan - that is all completely confidential between him and INZ.

Hi JandM, thank you so much for your explanation.