Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharks in the water ??

Personally I'm more wary of the jellyfish than sharks - the beach was blue with them the other day as the tide went out and I remember the same scenario from last year. They're little blue ones - they're pretty common here and I think they're called bluebottles - but don't let their size fool you, apparently the sting hurts.. alot.. heard a few stories from surfers when I worked at the shop, seems vinegar is the thing to use if you're unlucky enough to be stung so head to your local chippie!!

I've only seen them on Sumner and South Shore, not sure how widespread they are.

I always thought you had to pee on them!
    the stings that is, I guess it could be the same as vinegar depending on what you've been drinking. Wouldn't recommend peeing on your chips though.
    Debbie

What happened to using good old calamine lotion??????

The sting of a jelly must be a strong "base" so an acid, like vinegar, would neutralize it?

On the subject of the Taranaki great white, we spotted a seal on the beach as we were walking along the New Plymouth coast this evening. I thought it was dead until it started wobbling around (as they do!). Maybe it was avoiding the shark he he he...

Seriously, how cool is that - to walk along the beach and see a seal!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12