Thread: Possible job offer - referencing & checks

Default Possible job offer - referencing & checks

I’ve been shortlisted for a position (preferred candidate) and have advised of next steps:
    - online reference check from two previous managers
    - background checks

Références: my manager(s) from a previous role (the most important / relevant for this position) are no longer with the company; also, referencing would be done by HR who would only confirm dates and title. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Background check - I’ve been advised that this can take 4-6 weeks, which seems awfully long. I am assuming that it’s checking for criminal records, fraud conviction...and financial (???) although that would conflict with what I’ve read about moving to NZ and having to rebuild one’s credit history (for the purpose of home loans etc)?

Thank you in advance for any guidance / info!

Why don't you give the company your previous manager's personal details, assuming s/he would agree? That would supplement the outline coming through PR.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Why don't you give the company your previous manager's personal details, assuming s/he would agree? That would supplement the outline coming through PR.
    Apparently they are going to send me a link for an online link which I am assuming I will have to forward on to my referees...

That's good. You get to choose your referees.

Very true!

Do you know anything about the background check, as in why it takes so long? I am potentially looking at a two month wait overall which seems quite horrendous.

Thank you again for your excellent advice on the job roles - I did as you suggested and it’s worked out perfectly as it prompted a face-to-face meeting in Auckland CBD last week! :-)

There's no way to tell from outside the company. You could ask them what it is they're going to do, with the "sweetener" of, 'It seems like a lot of time, so is there anything I can do to help things along?'