Thread: Bank employment - credit check

Default Bank employment - credit check

I’ve only managed to find one thread here on the subject of credit checks for jobs in financial services. Back in 2009, the posters said that only NZ credit history is checked but I am concerned that the complete absence of information will count against me, unless things have changed and UK credit history is also checked?

I'll start this off by saying that I've never worked in recruitment so can't tell you definitively. But my guess would be that the only time they check overseas credit history would be for the higher up positions where Reserve Bank clearance is needed and the cost of hiring an overseas company to do background checks would be justified.

For the lower positions I'd say they will only do a NZ credit check and realise that it is empty because of your recent arrival. If they've progressed as far as doing a credit check I don't think you'd be ruled out for a lack of one especially since there is a mitigating factor. Some assumptions about your credit history can probably also be done through your career history too e.g. if your recent career history is in banking/financial services they would likely assume there's nothing negative on it in the UK. In the same way they probably assume you have a clean (or reasonably clean) UK criminal history because you got a visa.

Again, as I say that would be my guess. I have worked in banks in a few different areas but never in the recruitment part. I could be completely wrong about this!

Thank you, mainlandgay!