Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ dress code?

Default NZ dress code?

Hello -

my husband will have a "job-interview-video-conference" next week - and we have a "wearing a tie or not" discussion here .
    It's perhaps a stupid question, but he really wants to have the job so we thought one of you may give us an advice? Apart from the tie (or not) - what is good and appropriate to wear 'on TV'? (I guess small squares will hurt the viewers eyes after 10 min)...
    It's a job as a scientist in an environmental area.
    He is also asked to fill in (online) a kind of "psycho-tests" (Occupational Personality Questionnaire) by an agency, they work for/with them. Is this also common in NZ?

Sorry for all grammar and spelling and whatever mistakes (I decided to stop apologizing after my 15th posting ) and thanks for all answers

Malin
    Last edited by Malin; 8th February 2006 at 07:41 AM.

My advice would be to wear a tie for the interview. I've used video conferencing in the past and I really don't think that the pattern matters all that much. The NZ dress code is very relaxed but always good to dress up for an interview I think.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Malin
    Hello -

Sorry for all grammar and spelling and whatever mistakes (I decided to stop apologizing after my 15th posting ) and thanks for all answers

Malin
    Don't say sorry, your posts are perfect!

Some places are very laid back in NZ but others are still very traditional in their dress policy.

If you don't know where the company interviewing you stands in this area then it's better to err on the side of caution.

If you dress conventionally for a laid back firm it won't look that odd as many people will have done this in the past, I bet. But dress too casually for a company which has a traditional policy in this area and you could come over to them as being sloppy even if you weren't.

Malin

I agree with GeorgeM and others, it is an interview, better to dress up up than down. Something plain not patterned, so that hubbys skills and personality shine through and are not eclipsed by singing, dancing ties or shirts.

The dress code seems more laid back in Wellington than it does in say the city of London, which is all I can compare it with really. OH went in on his first day, suit, shiny shoes, tie the works. They didn't exactly laugh at him but he soon switched to more casual clothing.

The psychometric test, is that what you mean? It does seem to be common here and was common in the Uk too. OH had to take one with an agency here and also with two other companies, but he would expect to take one at his level anyway. They were done online too.

Hope that helps and you must stop apologising for your grammar etc, it's fine and makes more sense than some of my early morning/late night ramblings.

Deborah

smart or even casual but with a tie.

You can allways take it off after you have got the job.

In my last interview the guy had an open-necked shirt and was wearing a pair of jeans.

I was in a dark suit, black polished shoes, white shirt and tie.

I got the job.

In one way it felt un-equitable, but at the same time, I had turned up in my "Sunday-best" and that was considered as the right thing to do and was respected.

Being relaxed, layed-back and comming across as a competent, reasonable and reliable person is probably the most important.

After three days in the job, the suit and tie will be history.

Thank all of you very much, I will tell next week how it was!

No apologize today
    Malin

Good luck to your husband!

Agree with the others, wear a tie and the tests are common. Some ties can look stranges on video so he should wear a solid coloured tie or one with with the least ammount of color and pattern variation possible.

Good luck!

Chris

We are all starting to sound like an episode of What not to wear!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast