Thread: Immigration interview - New Questions- Partnership Work Visa - Please help

Default Immigration interview - New Questions- Partnership Work Visa - Please help

Hi Everyone

My partner has been informed that she'll be having an interview on Monday.

I have scrolled through a lot of posts but they are old. I just wanted to get some input from people who have had this interview recently. Can everyone please kindly share their questions and experiences..

Also everyone who has applied recently, have you guys got interviews too?

Many thanks

I had a phone interview a week after submission of partner work visa. It was a more casual talk or queries about you, your partner and your relationship. Questions were about when did you met, how long are you in relationships. Your future plans, my holiday in nz to meet his family etc..
    Don’t be nervous just be yourself but do remember dates which are significant to your relationship. Hope it helps.

I applied recently and mine was approved in 4 working days. I didn't have any contact from them. The whole thing was pretty bizarre for INZ to be honest. Just be truthful about your relationship. I know people who have been interviewed by them before and it usually just ends up being a casual chat - they're not out to trip you up. They might approve it not long after if they are satisfied.

Thank you very much for your response @dreamnz2019. I've also heard that they might ask intimate questions. Can you give some examples of questions?

I have never seen on the threads anyone mention REALLY intimate questions being asked. I've heard of what may seem like trivial things, like one half of the couple being asked, 'Where does your partner keep his/her toothbrush?' or, 'Is your partner reading a book at the moment? What is it? Where has s/he left it?' or, 'What did you have for dinner last night? Who cooked what? Who poured out the drinks?' The point of these questions is that they may ALSO ask the other partner, to see if the replies match, i.e. if these people are genuinely living together.

I believe the practice of asking 'intimate questions' was stopped by INZ many years ago due to issues regarding privacy (and rightly so because, in my opinion, those sorts of questions are highly inappropriate and just plain creepy!). As has been mentioned above, the questions will likely be of a general nature about the timeline of your relationship to date and any plans you have together for the future. Keep in mind the 'four-fold test' that INZ is trying to prove or disprove in their assessment of your relationship - credibility (whether statements and evidence are credible), living together (whether a couple are living together at the same address as a couple, not flatmates/friends), genuine (reasons for entering the relationship were genuine and with the intention of being long-term) and stable (likely to endure into the future). The questions are going to cover off these 4 elements.