Thread: Transit Visa Through Australia

Default Transit Visa Through Australia

Hi everyone!

My partner (Texas) arrives on the 22nd of March.

We have all the air tickets booked (Houston > Brisbane > Auckland > Christchurch), and year long NZ visa has been approved.

I just saw on a forum, that a Filipino woman has just been denied her flight to NZ because she didn't have a 'Transit Visa' for Sydney. She had a less than 8 hour layover but was still denied her flights.

I looked into the transit visa and my partner fits all the criteria to NOT get one (less than 8 hours, has onward ticket to NZ, isn't leaving airport lounge, isn't staying overnight as he arrives 7.30am, etc)

I'm wondering is this an issue that comes up often, and we should get the transit visa just in case, or risk it? I don't want these plans to fail.

Thank you for your help!

-Rebecca.

Hi Rebecca,

As per my knowledge, you and your partner will need to meet the criteria you mentioned above AND must be part of one of the eligible categories. In other words, if you are a USA citizen + meet the criteria, then you don't need an Australian transit visa.

I meet all the criteria but I'm not part of any of the eligible categories. Hence, I always need to apply for transit visa otherwise the airline denies my departure. Check the URL below

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...t-without-visa

Cheers,

And if still in doubt after reading the link, ask the Australian Immigration and Citizenship people - go to the Contact Us page. https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/contact-us

Why not just get an Australian visitor visa and eliminate any worry or hassle? For a US citizen, it's an electronic visa issued instantly online for AU$20 -- cheap peace of mind, I'd say, and good for a year.

I personally believe, you should apply for online that is e-transit visa to Australia. There is no charge for this. All you might need to do is appear for a nearby application center to give your fingerprints and photographs. It's a great risk otherwise. All the best.

If the flight is from the same airlines, you probably won't need the visa. Been doing this many times....