Thread: SMC Job Search or Resident Visa?

Default SMC Job Search or Resident Visa?

Hi all,

After submitting my EOI for the SMC visa with 165 points without a job offer (my qualification is on the skills shortage list), I was expecting to receive an ITA for a Job Search Visa, to be submitted within 3 months (according to the immigration manual).

However I received the ITA for Resident Visa, to be submitted within 4 months. I understood that this was offered only in case of having a job offer or a NZ degree, which I don't have.

Anyone has been in the same situation? If approved, will I get the Job Search or Resident Visa? I'm not in NZ.

Thanks!

My timeline:
    EOI Submitted in July 2018
    ITA Received in August 2018
    Visa Application accepted for processing in October 2018
    Case Officer assigned in February 2019
    Now waiting for a decision.

As far as I’m aware it’s the same ITA. You will just get a job search visa that can be converted into a residence visa once you get a skilled job.

I agree. There's no mistake. It's the resident visa that you want to get in the end, so that's what you apply for, even though you know that you'll get the JSV on the way as part of the current system.

You will receive the ITA for your Resident Visa (the INZ 1104 form), and should handle this as if you are applying for the Resident Visa itself. However, INZ will (if your application checks out) award you a Job Search Visa instead of a Resident Visa; meanwhile, the decision on your Resident Visa will be deferred for the length of your Job Search Visa. This will allow you to travel to New Zealand and find skilled employment; once you do, you will notify INZ, who will perform due diligence checks on your skilled employment and then (if they are satisfied) award you your Resident Visa with appropriate Section 49(1) conditions.

This is explained in the INZ 1105 form (this is a guide to completing your INZ 1104, which you should definitely read). Relevant section quoted below:

SMC Job Search work visa

If you are not eligible for a resident visa because you do not have skilled employment or the required qualification, but you meet all other Skilled Migrant Category requirements, you may be eligible for an SMC Job Search work visa. The purpose of the SMC Job Search work visa is to allow you the opportunity to obtain skilled employment in New Zealand. A 9 month work visa may be granted if you are already in New Zealand, or a 12 month work visa if you are outside New Zealand. Your residence application will be deferred for the length of the work visa granted. If you receive an offer of skilled employment or begin working in a skilled job during the course of your work visa, INZ will assess your employment and make a decision on your residence application. If your work visa expires and you have not obtained a skilled job or job offer, your residence application will be declined.

What about my family members who are included in my application?

Your family members are not automatically eligible for any temporary entry visas that are linked to your SMC Job Search work visa. If any family members wish to accompany you, they must apply and meet standard temporary entry class visa instructions.

What issues do I need to know about if I am coming to New Zealand on a work visa?

You may find it more difficult to access insurance or loans in New Zealand or find that you have to pay higher costs for these services. Therefore we recommend you contact a range of banks, financial institutions and insurance organisations to find out about the options available to you. You may also be required to pay duties and Goods and Services Tax (GST) on your household effects if you are bringing them to New Zealand with you. You may wish to refer to the New Zealand Customs Service website at www.customs.govt.nz for further information.