Thread: J&M - Egoodhue - Immigration interview

Default J&M - Egoodhue - Immigration interview

Hi Guys,

My partner had her interview yesterday on phone. It went really good and she was confident throughout but at the end of the interview officer said even if the application is declined, we give more time to prove yourself and come back with further evidences or whatever is missing.

Is this a general statement or is there something to worry about?

Also they said that in our culture/religion people match stars before cohabitating/getting married to which she responded that we are not old schooled. Can they really make a decision based on our origin?

Because our relationship is not ideal as per our origin, he asked if our family is happy about our relationship to which she truthfully advised that our mums and her dad are happy but my dad is not as he's old school but we believe that he'll understand some day. We have provided living together evidence of nearly 2 years and have had about 7-8 trips around north island and have added all of our hotel bookings and pictures and other usual stuff. They are very strong evidences. I am just worried about the questions above. Can you throw some light.

Cheers!

Many thanks in advance!

Wow - what an unusual thing for the immigration officer to raise in an interview! While I'd be surprised if they raised concerns regarding the relatively small matter of your dad not being completely on-board with your relationship, unfortunately nothing INZ does surprises me much these days - such is the terrible quality of their assessments lately.

It's right that, even if they aren't satisfied that you're in a genuine and stable relationship, based on the interview, you will have the chance to provide further evidence to prove that you do meet immigration instructions (as long as you have applied from within NZ - applicants who apply from offshore unfortunately don't get that opportunity to provide more evidence and would just get declined).

I do remember that someone posted on the forum that the CO had raised the issue of their having different religions.

However, I've never heard of the fact of ONE family member's, even a parent's, attitude making a big difference, and your CO didn't, from what you say, pick up on the mention of your father's feelings.

Also, there is no basis in the requirements for partnerships visas for anyone to follow all or any tenets of their family's religious background. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ly/partnership

As EGoodhue has said, it would be very surprising if this CO raised any issues on this matter. If he did, you have strong arguments that this is not justified by the requirements.

The rest of this is my thoughts, nothing official.

I would add that there must be a high proportion of families, with no difference in background or religion, where at least one of the in-laws is never happy about their child's choice, and that included my own m-i-l, despite my solid marriage going on before her eyes for 40+ years.

NZ law does not support parents (whatever their cultural or national background) having a veto even over the choice of marriage partner of their adult, non-dependent child. https://www.govt.nz/browse/family-an...who-can-get-it
    You can’t legally marry if you’re:

already married or in a civil union, unless you’re changing your relationship with the same person
    closely related by birth, marriage or adoption
    under 16.

Full list of people you can’t marry — Marriage Act 1955
    There's no requirement there for religious agreement or parental consent. That being the case, there is even less grounds for anyone looking for all-round approval about who their adult children decide to associate with, then set up home with.