Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Bench Materials...

Default Kitchen Bench Materials...

I'm having a "sort the house out day".. can you tell?

Having always preferred wooden benchtops I am curious to know what others thoughts are on materials such as granite/stone/corian/formica etc as I need to replace all the work surfaces in our kitchen. I thought that stone based tops might be a bit dangerous or lead to breakages?

The only thing I can really say is that I truly would love to afford granite surfaces. When I was doing my last kitchen - I was going to sell the house so there was no point.

I did decide not to have wood though - basically cos im too bone idle to look after it.

My persoanl preference is for surfaces with a high gloss sheen - that look like granite but dont break the bank - or your toes when you drop it. In this place we have a dull textured surface and im really not a fan - whereas my one in the UK was sparkly and stunning (imho) -

Granite EVERY time if you can afford it - and it IS worth it

http://www.trethewey.co.nz/granite.htm

G

We used a material call Quarella which is a quartz composite very similar to granite but supposely easier to build to custom shapes and to maintain over time. Comes in a huge range of colours.

I believe that it's easier to work than granite - we've got draining grooves worked into the surface round the sink, for example.

We've had no problems with it (in 15 months or so) and so far (knock knock knock) haven't smashed anything on it.

Details at http://www.tilewarehousechch.co.nz/ps/

By the way - if you're doing things to your house have you been to the Home Ideas Centre on Mandeville St (Placemakers end, other side of the road to Placemakers) which is like an exhibition centre for all sorts of things? Well worth a visit. http://www.homeideas.co.nz/

We had granite in our last house in the US. Really liked it. When we rework our kitchen here we will do granite again, no hesitation. Pricey but helps with future sales, looks good no matter what you do to it.

Thank you, all.

Definitely leaning towards granite as it would "suit" this house, and will investigate GeorgeM's quarella. No, we haven't yet been to the home ideas centre, keep meaning to pop in but rarely in Chch these days.

http://www.granitesouth.co.nz/pricing.htm

$1500 for 5m... not bad at all.

Just to add my 2pence worth,
    Had our kitchen done in granit 9 mths ago and it has been the big wow factor with every UK house viewer but check that you are getting polished and sealed. In the UK we found some selling polished but not sealed and granit is porous so leave water or any thing on it long term it could stain, (example if you get water under a pot plant on your sil). I broke 4 bits in the first few weeks but am getting used to there being no forgiveness factor. (and Im a clutts).
    The man that fitted ours advised only to use hot soapy water or dettox type spray to clean as bleach is a no no and to dry it after with a shammy (sp) leather. So far it's been great, totally indisructable with 2 kids and rock hard dried weetabix, daughter drew on it with wax crayon, I cut scones dirrect on it and do all the usual baking things and there have been on ill effects.
    Im very heavy handed,I definatly go for function rather than form, and expect everything in my house to survive being in the house and to do its job. Only had the granit a little while but so have so good. Has the advantage of looking good as well which is a .
    P.S Just out of interest how do you stop a wood top from staining and scratching up? Just interested to know, I know Jamie Oliver recommends wood but the throught of using it frightened me.
    Debbie

Thanks for that Debbie...

Re wood - we had oak tops in the UK and they did require some effort to keep them looking their best - we would use a special linseed oil mix and would oil them monthly as they can dry out. You also have to be vigilant as it could stain and cut easily - I wouldn't recommended them if you have kids that are active in the kitchen or if you worry about dints and stains!! I had an old marble top "pastry" table that I used for messy stuff....

We've got varnished rimu tops and rimu units (unvarnished) here. They're fantastic although not as indestructable as granite. We've got a few marks in it but we can sand the tops down and re varnish if they get to horrendous.

Have to say I'm also a big fan of granite because of the 'wow factor' it gets. If you can afford it go for the granite option.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast