Thread: Applying for Permanent Residence with family

Default Applying for Permanent Residence with family

Hi,

I have been here in NZ since July 2017 on a LTSS visa and our 2 year window is almost over so we can apply for Permanent Residency. My understanding is that once we've been here 2 years I can convert my Visa to a PR and then once I have that I can make a further application to add my wife and child to the visa.

I have a few questions regarding this and wondered if the great minds on here may be able to give me a steer on the following.

Can I actually submit all our applications at the same time?
    If our visa expires while they're processing it do we have to leave NZ?

Now for the challenging/scary one...
    My 2 year old son has been going to play school here and through doctors consultations and reports we were told that he likely has Autism. He's 3 in July. The nursery have asked for early intervention from the Ministry of Education to help address the issue. I read lots of stories of families with Autistic kids being kicked out of NZ as they cant get PR because their kid is a "drain on the system" which is really scary.
    Does my already having a residency class visa impact on the likely outcome or are they going to assess him when it comes to his PR applications as if he were the same as any other expat? (he already has had checkups etc that were paid for by the state due to his visa status).

evisa.jpg
    evisa2.JPG

First off, you hold a work visa, not a residence class visa!

Once you hit the 24 month mark, you will apply for residence for both you and your family via the INZ 1000 form. The INZ 1002 guide details how to fill this in, and also mentions supporting documents that you will need.

The following statement on the INZ 1002 should cover your question regarding the inclusion of your family: "If you are the principal applicant and hold a work visa and your partner and children hold temporary visas linked to your work visa, they must be included and cannot be subsequently removed from your residence application. Failure to do so may result in your application not being accepted or being declined."

If your temporary visas will expire before your resident visas are granted, you must apply for further temporary visas should you wish to remain in New Zealand. As per immigration instruction I1.5, interim visas may only be granted to people who hold an existing temporary visa, are applying for a further temporary visa and who are in New Zealand, so you will not receive interim visas on the basis of your resident visa application.

I am in no position to give you any advice with regards to your autistic child, and suggest you discuss your options with an LIA.

Have your wife and son both been on visitor's visas during this time?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Have your wife and son both been on visitor's visas during this time?
    My wife and son have both been here on the visa attached in my original post which is a "visitor visa - dependents of long term worker/student"

In regard to my visa being a work visa not a residency class visa, perhaps thats a misunderstanding on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by holroyd View Post
    In regard to my visa being a work visa not a residency class visa, perhaps thats a misunderstanding on my part.
    It happens...

But yes, the visa you attached is a work class visa. You can see it right at the top line: "New Zealand work visa approval".

Quote Originally Posted by holroyd View Post
    My wife and son have both been here on the visa attached in my original post which is a "visitor visa - dependents of long term worker/student"
    Those visas would be linked to your work visa, so (as per what's printed on the INZ 1002 guide) you must include both your wife and son in your resident visa application.

You can see here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#46506.htm that a need for ORS funding is an issue for getting ASH. However, your son may be eligible for a visa waiver. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#45636.htm That would be on the basis of YOUR usefulness to NZ, and any positive involvement in your local community on your and your wife's part.