Thread: Concession on Shipping Personal Belongings

Default Concession on Shipping Personal Belongings

Hi all
    Wanted some confirmation on my situation regarding the concession on personal shipment.

I'm a NZPR living outside NZ past 10yrs, I applied PR for my family and was approved 2yrs ago. They moved to NZ beginning of last year, and I'm joining them this May.
    I'm planning to ship our personal belonging ... and wondered if the concession for personal shipment should be declared for my wife or myself? Or does it matter?

As she has lived in NZ for >12mths, I'm not clear if she is still eligible for the concession as settling first timer?

On the other hand, I have only visited NZ on short period of stay (max 3wks) the past year, and all the while has been living outside NZ ... I should qualify for the concession ... correct?

If so, is it important that the shipment has to be addressed to myself?

I found the following from other threads (http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx). It seem to agree that I qualify as a Returning Resident who has lived outside NZ past 21 mths.

Duty-free entry for household items

​When entering New Zealand either as a returning citizen or resident, or if settling for the first time, your household or other related effects will be admitted free of Customs duty and goods and services tax (GST) for a reasonable time after you arrive, provided you can meet the following requirements:

You have arrived in New Zealand and, on the date the effects are imported, hold a document authorising residence in New Zealand.
    For the whole of the period of 21 months preceding your arrival, you have lived outside New Zealand (brief holiday or exploratory visits do not exclude a person from qualifying for this concession).
    You have owned and used the goods before the date of your arrival in New Zealand.
    The goods are for your own personal use and are not intended for any other person or persons, or for gift, sale, or exchange.

Exceptions

The following goods will not qualify for duty-free entry, unless you can establish that they were for your own personal use prior to their arrival in New Zealand:

Any goods shipped directly after purchase to avoid local taxes in the country of export.
    Replacement electrical equipment operating to New Zealand standards.
    Goods of a commercial nature (such as factory plant and office equipment).

In these cases you may need to pay Customs duty and any other applicable charges.
    Appreciate a second opinion on this.

Thanks - aley

I read that like you do - it looks as though YOU qualify for the concession, in which case, the shipment should be addressed to you.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I read that like you do - it looks as though YOU qualify for the concession, in which case, the shipment should be addressed to you.
    Thanks - Just needed a 2nd opinion/confirmation.