Thread: Nurse

Default Nurse

Hello,
    I am a Canadian nurse. I have obtained a FT offer of employment and have submitted my EOI which was selected this week. I am heading to a rural area, where I have worked before, on the West Coast of the South Island. Does anyone know if preference is given in approval to areas of high need such as this? Or are all SMC applications processed on a first come first served basis? Thanks.

There is expedited processing for applications with a job offer in a skills shortage role with an accredited employer. Don't know if geography factors in at all, however. My application took a bit more than 3 months to process in 2012--but nearly of month of that was burned up chasing down a police clearance.

Thanks for the reply. It is with an accredited employer so hopefully things run smoothly!

You have priority since you would have current occupational registration in your profession... this is one situation that would qualify for priority processing...

Can one of you please give a source for that information about expedited processing? It would be helpful.

@JandM I don’t think the word is expedited... some applicants just have priority which in turn makes an application processed faster than the norm (expedited v priority)

@EGoodhue had shared before that INZ Manukau operates a system of priority processing for certain SMC applications that meet set criteria (high salary, highly skilled role, little verification required), so they get bumped to the front of the queue for faster processing...

https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread...ht=#post577141

https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread...577#post578577

When I was doing my application in 2012 I was told my application would be given priority. Priority, expedited, the point is that some applications move to the front of the queue. Which helps EVERYONE: the employer's already certified, the job title is on the list of occupations, the offer is written to meet the requirements for a SMC visa application.

If EGoodhue’s info is legit then applicants working with an accredited employer isn’t included in the criteria anymore. Lots have changed since 2012 but some applications jumping the line haven’t changed.

Now it isn’t enough that the occupation is on the list of skilled occupations... you also now need to meet salary requirements.