Thread: Degree from 1988 not on exempt list, no syllabus or transcripts

Default Degree from 1988 not on exempt list, no syllabus or transcripts

How easy will it be to get an IQA for a BEng (Hons) awarded in 1988 by University of Bath.

We have certificate but transcripts didn’t exist back then and the University has no central records for that time to provide a syllabus etc

Is this going to be a show stopper? Without points for the degree my husband has probably 150 points and I could in theory get my qualification assessed for a further 10 points to get us to 160 file EOI but I would prefer to get 50 for his degree if possible...

Anybody had success with this?

The only thing I can think of that he could do more, as the Registry apparently can't help, would be to ask if the faculty have records of what the syllabus was. (I am surprised at the lack of records they're telling you about, though. When I needed details of my first degree when I was about to do a higher degree nearly forty years on, everything was there in the Registry still - the woman on the phone even told me what I'd been wearing in my ID photo, aged 18!)

There's nothing wrong with putting in an EOI with only 160 points - having more isn't any advantage.

If I were you, I would get your degree assessed for the 10 points so you can get to 160, but continue looking into getting evidence for your husband's degree. It's good to have a backup plan in case some of your other points don't bear out.

After dithering on whether or not to spend time and money on IQA (since work experience got us over 160), we ended up doing a rush job on IQA because the CO didn't think the work experience letters from previous managers were good enough proof. Getting the assessment was a quicker way to boost points, compared to having to find possibly non-existent records from out-of-business start up companies. Letterhead...HR contact...yeah right!

Thanks ... the faculty have now found and sent through a transcript that has a breakdown of. Odukes/grades so we can hopefully send off to nzqa this weekend and get that started...

I’m reading through the work experience sections of the INZ manual for SMC, and the nzqa guidance,and it mentions getting the degree assessed for LTSSL occupation codes...

The degree is Mech Eng but the LTSSL job offer is construction... is this going to cause other issues around points for experience etc?