Thread: Partnership base resident visa. Is work required?

Default Partnership base resident visa. Is work required?

Hello Everyone,
    I have been given a partnership work visa for 1 year. I am just worried about applying for Partnership Based Resident Visa. My partner and I have been living together for 8 months including the time I was granted a visitor's visa based on partnership. We already move to a new address and my partner has been paying the rent and everything. He said he does not mind as long as I focus on my CV and finding work that is best suited to me. I am just worried tho. With the current state of INZ , it has been changing a lot base on what I see and read on the news. Although having work was not stated on the manual on applying for visa in partnership base residency, I just can't shake this feeling that it could affect our application once we lodge our application. How likely this could affect us when applying if I still does not have a work by the time we apply? Does it matter at all? Is it a big factor?

Thank you very much.

Don't worry.

A partner-sponsored work visa gives you PERMISSION to work (at any work you may be offered), but to work is NOT a requirement, for that or for partner-sponsored residence.

Think of it like this. Partner-sponsored visas are allowing the foreign partner in, so that the sponsoring Kiwi stays happily at home, rather than going to live abroad. It's visas such as Essential Skills or residence under the Skilled Migrant Programme that are a kind of swap between the applicant and the NZ government, allowing that foreign person to live and work in the country in exchange for giving their skills, rare among the NZ population, to be employed in the NZ workforce.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Don't worry.

A partner-sponsored work visa gives you PERMISSION to work (at any work you may be offered), but to work is NOT a requirement, for that or for partner-sponsored residence.

Think of it like this. Partner-sponsored visas are allowing the foreign partner in, so that the sponsoring Kiwi stays happily at home, rather than going to live abroad. It's visas such as Essential Skills or residence under the Skilled Migrant Programme that are a kind of swap between the applicant and the NZ government, allowing that foreign person to live and work in the country in exchange for giving their skills, rare among the NZ population, to be employed in the NZ workforce.
    Thank you very much for clarifying that JandM. It's a relief to hear that.

I've just recently done partnership residency and there's no questions about work, so you'll be fine 😊

Quote Originally Posted by MagicPizza View Post
    I've just recently done partnership residency and there's no questions about work, so you'll be fine ��
    Thank you. Congrats on your resident visa.