Thread: Parent/Grandparents Visitor Visa

Default Parent/Grandparents Visitor Visa

My parents have been to NZ few times on GVV and this time I am thinking of applying in Parent category.

They do meet all the criteria and I am on PR visa and longer processing time is also not an issue.

As they are both around 65 years old and obviously they have some medical issues which comes with the age I guess.

For eg. My dad has heart bypass surgery few years back and coronary stent placement in the heart and he is on heart and diabetics medication. Mum is on high blood pressure medication.

I know they have to go through full medical and following questions I would like to ask and if anyone experienced this before:-

1) I am wondering if these issues can be
    waived? or these are not the medical issues that INZ will be looking for the Parent VV.
    2) If we apply this and submit the full medical, can they say you need to have full medical insurance for these issues?
    3) If declined, will it create a bad impact on their future GVV application.
    4) If approved, Can they travel individually or on seprate travel dates, will they be issued 2 seprate visa's. (Last time they applied for GVV together and they were issued 1 visa with dad as a principal applicant and mum secondary. That time they have to travel together otherwise they cannont gurrantee entry into the border here in NZ- Checked with INZ that time)
    5) I am thinking of my parents should go for a private full medical first with one of the family doctor and they can advise if there will be any issues. Is there any official INZ medical benchmark which our family doctor can compare with.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I might be thinking a lot but wanted to get this correct so that it does not impact their future visits to NZ. But if they get PVV then i dont need to go through this for the next 3 years.

Looking forward to see what everyone says. Thanks

See the link from this page https://www.immigration.govt.nz/assi...k/clinic-admin to the document INZ 1216, which sets out exactly what a doctor carrying out a medical must do.

Also, see this https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#44856.htm from the INZ operational manual.

Well understood conditions (e.g. your father's diabetes and perhaps the heart) for which applicants are on the standard kind of medication regime are not a bar to getting a visa. When someone has had a serious operation, the medical is very likely to be referred to a medical examiner (MA), who is in a different department, and whose job it is to understand the person's condition, to be as sure as possible that s/he is not going to cost the NZ Health Service too much. (Read the whole section of the Operational Manual about medicals to understand the basis of all this.) The MA has the power to ask for a doctor's or consultant's report about the applicant's condition now, following the surgery, and the prognosis, and to ask in some cases for extra tests to be completed and the results sent in. (Many people ask their medical practitioner to write a report before it is asked for, to send it in to INZ to connect with their medical, to try to pre-empt what the MA is going to be requiring anyway, to cut down the waiting time.)

2) As it says on the page of the Operational Manual linked to above, having your own medical insurance isn't a substitute for the medical being declared as showing ASH (acceptable standard of health).

3) Yes, it can.

4) I don't know if this is possible. Is there someone out here who has experience to share?

5) That sounds like a good idea. The INZ 1216 document gives a lot of background, and also A4.10.1 here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#46506.htm, for what conditions are regarded as a 'no'.

Thanka JandM for answering my question.
    I think I will go with the GVV to keep the things simple.
    I also heard that parents who are applying for GVV are anyway getting 3 years of visa (no medical / Pcc) even if they say they want to visit for 3-4 month.

Cannot confirm this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ashu3690 View Post
    Thanka JandM for answering my question.
    I think I will go with the GVV to keep the things simple.
    I also heard that parents who are applying for GVV are anyway getting 3 years of visa (no medical / Pcc) even if they say they want to visit for 3-4 month.

Cannot confirm this yet.
    Hi Ashu,
    I also saw in facebook that someone got approved with 3 yrs multiple entry visa when applying for GVV for parents. It was a case of sponsorship. I am expecting the same in our case, but not sure. I suspect that they are trying to reduce immigration workload (future application) or could be that this is a new visa scheme that is being considered for parents.

Thanks
    Saumya

Hello,

Even prepandemic, when we I apply for GVV for my parents, they usually get visas valid for 2 months for each stay, multiple entry for two years. They got this multiple entry visa in 2015 and again in 2018. On these visas, they were able to travel separately.

I have read on other threads that recently it has been 3 months validity, multiple entry for 3 years.
    Last edited by mometski; 25th August 2022 at 11:55 PM.