Thread: Health cover, 12-month work partnership visa

Default Health cover, 12-month work partnership visa

I am going to set up private health care through my employer but spotted on the ts&cs that I need to be entitled to public health care. I am married to a NZ citizen but I only have a 12-month Work Visa right now (I am going to submit my residence application early next month, once most of the relocation expenses are out of the way).

My travel insurance only covers trips of up to 50 days and I am almost halfway that... What do people normally do for cover, please?

Although in our case, it wasn't for use in NZ, in the past we've used Aetna International for health care cover. I think it was 80€/month per person (which of course will very with age, etc.), but with a high deductible of 8,000€. Thankfully we never needed to make a claim against it, but it might be what you need to be legally compliant.

You might need to check with the provider but having travel insurance might not be sufficient to meet those T&Cs for private health insurance. I suspect you would need to be entitled to public health care in your own right such as through residency etc.

I know a couple of people who have used Southern Cross for their NZ travel insurance - they have a specific policy for those visiting/working in NZ.

Can I just check for the sake of clarity, BananaFace - are you wanting insurance to carry you through until you get to the point where you will be entitled to use NZ public health care?

Yes, JandM! My understanding is that I’ll be entitled to public healthcare once my residency has been approved (fingers & toes crossed). After that, I can go back to Southern Cross and set up a plan through my employer. Actually, they’ve suggested that I look into what http://www.scti.co.nz/ can offer in the interim.