Thread: Skilled Migrant Category - No experience

Default Skilled Migrant Category - No experience

Hello guys,

I am sure that this question has already been responded before, but unfortunately I could not find it using the Search button. I would like to know if it is possible to apply for a Skilled Migrant Category if I do not have experience in that field.

I have been working at this company as a receptionist for one year in New Zealand. Now they want to give me the opportunity to stay longer as a manager. Basically, with my qualifications, which are not related to the job, I already have more than 180 points. But on the other hand, I do not have experience related to the management position. The job position is as hospitality manager.

Can I apply then? Or do I MUST have experience related to the job?

(I have qualified experience, but is in other fields).

Thank you. Any information and personal experiences would be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Kracius; 2nd May 2019 at 09:08 PM.

In order to claim points for skilled employment, you must have either:
    *a qualification with a major subject area directly applicable to your employment, or proof that your particular qualification is why your employer chose to employ you (usually a letter from the employer confirming this, with reasons) OR
    *work experience that is directly applicable to the employment (because it allowed you to gain the skills and knowledge required for the job), or proof your employer couldn't have offered you the job or you couldn't have undertaken the job without that experience (again, usually a letter with reasoning is sufficient)

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    In order to claim points for skilled employment, you must have either:
    *a qualification with a major subject area directly applicable to your employment, or proof that your particular qualification is why your employer chose to employ you (usually a letter from the employer confirming this, with reasons) OR
    *work experience that is directly applicable to the employment (because it allowed you to gain the skills and knowledge required for the job), or proof your employer couldn't have offered you the job or you couldn't have undertaken the job without that experience (again, usually a letter with reasoning is sufficient)
    Hello EGoodhue, and thank you for your response.

I do not need more points. The qualification can give you points even if it is not related to the job (See https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55347 ).

I have 1 year of experience as a receptionist in the company, that means that I pretty much know everything of what is going on here. On the other hand, I am over-qualified (IQA Level 9 with a Master's Degree). So I do not have directly experience as a hospitality manager, but I have one year of experience in the company and I am over-qualified. I will get points for that year of experience working in NZ and for my qualifications. On the other hand, I can give reasons to show that my experience and my qualifications could be connected to my job (Teacher of high school - Managing groups of students coming to the backpackers).

What I am asking is not about claiming points, because I already have enough to apply (180).

Do I MUST have experience as a manager? Can you apply without experience and non-related qualification (even if this give you points) for a Skilled Migrant Category?

Thank you again
    Last edited by Kracius; 3rd May 2019 at 01:54 PM.

You can apply for SMC as long as you've got a minimum of 160 points.

What Egoodhue been pointing out is if you want to claim points from your employment, you need to fulfill the qualification or experience on her description above. Based on your situation you might not be able to claim the skilled employment points but if you still got enough points without depending from skilled employment then you're still good to go.

Thank you very much,

Now I get it. I thought that you can get points just for the job offer, but if you want to claim points for the job offer, qualification and experience related are needed.

Thank you again, now I understand perfectly.