Thread: Lost Job - how long can I stay?

Default Lost Job - how long can I stay?

Hi,

I lost my job and my last official day was the 10th April.

I have been looking for another job which immigration said was fine to do, they said there isnt a set limit on how long I have to look.

As no job offers that will satisfy my visa look to be coming through I am now planning to just leave and go back to the UK.

I am going to call them tomorrow and tell them I plan to book a flight for the 26th May.... are they likely to be ok with this?

They havent sent me any kind of deportation notice or anything so I'm presuming me leaving on the 26th is preferable than to start sending me any kind of deportation notice etc?

looked it up and says you have to leave within 42 days of you being past your visa, if i fly on the 26th May it will be 46 days.

If you still want to stay after your job has ended you'll need to apply for a visitor visa.

have a look at this link and probably option B is more suit your current situation.
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...at-will-happen

If you have a flight booked for 26 May, you could always send evidence of this to INZ and ask if they agree to not take any deportation action as long as you do depart on the flight you have booked on 26 May. Compliance tend to be quite lenient about this sort of situation if you are up-front and show them that you have booked to leave, even if it is slightly outside the 42 day timeframe. Try emailing INZ.ComplianceInvestigations@mbie.govt.nz and ask the question.

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    If you have a flight booked for 26 May, you could always send evidence of this to INZ and ask if they agree to not take any deportation action as long as you do depart on the flight you have booked on 26 May. Compliance tend to be quite lenient about this sort of situation if you are up-front and show them that you have booked to leave, even if it is slightly outside the 42 day timeframe. Try emailing INZ.ComplianceInvestigations@mbie.govt.nz and ask the question.
    Thanks, I have booked a flight for the 21st which is exactly 42 days. They said I had 30 days to find a job, which isnt happening it seems, that 30 days is over as of the 12th which is a saturday.... shall i just call them on the 13th and say hi its not worked out and i didnt get another job so ive booked a flight for a weeks time on the 21st and I can send them the flight booking info for proof?