Thread: Certified Copy of US Birth Certificate

Default Certified Copy of US Birth Certificate

Hi all

A bit of confusion around certified copy of my US Birth Certificate, hoping someone has had a similar experience?

I'm applying for Partnership Residence visa online from Wellington, and I'm confused about needing certification for scanned documents.

To be on the safe side, I'm getting my identification documents certified. However, my birth certificate states VOID IF PHOTOCOPIED. There's not a lot in the Google universe to point me in the right direction on this

Do I still get a certified copy from the lawyer I'm going to in NZ? The rule for my Colorado Birth Certificate appears to be this: Certified copies are allowed to be made of the birth certificate "Only with signed written request stating certified copy not available from the office of any recorder of public documents or other custodian of documents in the state."

Or would it be better to apply online and send my original in? (Worries me to send an original document such as that).

Has anyone else faced this confusion? Colorado definitely isn't the only state that has this rule, so hopefully there's someone who can help here!

Thanks

Not at all familiar with Colorado state law, but it sounds a lot to me like you're going to have to a certified copy directly from the relevant Colorado authorities.

That being said, and given that you're in Wellington, perhaps you can ask the US Embassy for advice? They may have authority to certify copies for you.

What I do however know is that, if you decide to send in the original, you can request INZ in terms of the Privacy Act to return an original document, and they even give you a form for this over here.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 10th May 2019 at 01:55 PM.

Ive sent in my original birth certificate got it back safe. I belive they will ask for the original, you can get a certified copy its up to the immigrarion officer if they're willing to accept it.

My WA state birth certificate was the same. The original was certified as well by the DOH in WA when I got it and when scanned could clearly see the void in the background. But when I printed multiple copies, it came out both with and without the void so you could try that.... I took a copy to a JP to get certified and had no issues with immigration. I didn't apply online so not really sure if you'd be able to mail in that one piece to go with your application.

Even though a lot of members of the forum send originals and get them back from immigration, that did not happen to me unfortunately. When I applied for my first partnership work visa I didn't get back all my original documents even when I stated they were original and things like US paper size is different from NZ, they still fought me on it. Eventually I was able to get them after the hassle of talking to multiple people, putting in a request for personal information and then talking to a manager...So now when I need to send important paperwork I try to always send a certified copy. I got my partnership residency approved with no issues.

I was born in New York City and couldn't locate my original birth certificate when I was in the process of applying. I was able to order a copy on the web, which came with a "statement of authenticity" letter from the office produced the certified copy. I sent both the document and the statement with the application and it was accepted without a problem.

My point is, if its possible, you might consider ordering a copy of your certificate from the records office and just sending that directly along to INZ.

You might be getting confused here betwenn NZ requirements for an online temporary visa application and those for a residence application (and added confusion by the watermarking of the US cvertificate.

For your temporary visa application you done need a birth certificate at all, simply your passport, and evidence of your relationship, and other documents as listed in the online application.

later, when you come to the residence application, you'll need to provide either the original certificate as received from the State Bureau of Vital Statistics or a copy which has been certified (presumably then by a NZ official if you are then in NZ)

Thanks!

I'm applying for Partnership Residency, as I'm already on my Partnership Work visa

I got a copy certified by a solicitor here in NZ, and will deal with any issues if they arise!

Application submitted online last night (12 May) so now we wait...and wait...