Thread: JSV TO RV Question

Default JSV TO RV Question

Dear forum members,
    I am posting something after long time now as I got my JSV approved and landed in Auckland last month (April 2019). I am an IT Engineer by profession and starting looking for jobs from the day 1, however I am unable to find a permanent role as IT system Administrator (ANZSCO CODE 262113) . I am able to only find System Engineer position (as per job description looks like IT Technician) on 3 month contract which is skill level 2 (ANZSCO code 313112) . As the JSV visa is for 9 months only and since it seems a permanent role is required for Residence visa, not sure if I should accept the 3 month contract or keep looking for a permanent role.
    Most of the jobs seem to require a permanent resident or someone with Nz experience.
    Any suggestions are welcome please. My only hope seem to be if my new employer extends the 3 month contract on expiry. Maybe that would help.
    Last edited by pac.man; 14th May 2019 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Typo

The job you take needs to meet the requirements given in the regulations. See particularly SM6.10, SM6.30 and SM6.35. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66785.htm

Quote Originally Posted by pac.man View Post
    Dear forum members,
    I am posting something after long time now as I got my JSV approved and landed in Auckland last month (April 2019). I am an IT Engineer by profession and starting looking for jobs from the day 1, however I am unable to find a permanent role as IT system Administrator (ANZSCO CODE 262113) . I am able to only find System Engineer position (as per job description looks like IT Technician) on 3 month contract which is skill level 2 (ANZSCO code 313112) . As the JSV visa is for 9 months only and since it seems a permanent role is required for Residence visa, not sure if I should accept the 3 month contract or keep looking for a permanent role.
    Most of the jobs seem to require a permanent resident or someone with Nz experience.
    Any suggestions are welcome please. My only hope seem to be if my new employer extends the 3 month contract on expiry. Maybe that would help.
    Hi PAC.man, if you don't mind then may I ask you about your profile, are you from sys admin profile..in which technology are you in currently and in past...

Quote Originally Posted by itmanpreet View Post
    Hi PAC.man, if you don't mind then may I ask you about your profile, are you from sys admin profile..in which technology are you in currently and in past...
    Yes I am a system Administrator/systems engineer with 15 years of experience. I have worked mostly on Windows servers and vmware virtualization along with backup solutions, antivirus management, sccm, wsus etc. I was previously employed in Dubai, UAE

Quote Originally Posted by pac.man View Post
    Yes I am a system Administrator/systems engineer with 15 years of experience. I have worked mostly on Windows servers and vmware virtualization along with backup solutions, antivirus management, sccm, wsus etc. I was previously employed in Dubai, UAE
    Thanks PAC.man, i am also in very much same profile. How's the job in NZ, I think cloud jobs and devops will be in high demand

Thanks PAC.man, i am also in very much same profile. How's the job in NZ, I think cloud jobs and devops will be in high demand
    DevOps is in high demand with gaining popularity across the world due to delivering value quicker and cloud is surely part of the DevOps journey... Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sona View Post
    DevOps is in high demand with gaining popularity across the world due to delivering value quicker and cloud is surely part of the DevOps journey... Good luck!
    Thanks Sona..are you also in same type of profile...

Thanks Sona..are you also in same type of profile...
    Nope! I am from IT but Quality Assurance (Management) profile with 15 years exp, mostly from USA.