Thread: Become a Licensed Immigration Adviser

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Become a Licensed Immigration Adviser

Hi there,

I was interested eventually in becoming a LIA.
    Since February 2016, the Toi Ohomai Institute of TechnologyÂ’s Graduate Diploma in New Zealand Immigration Advice is the only qualification offered.
    The Graduate Diploma takes one academic year full-time and is also available part-time.
    We may apply for a provisional immigration adviser licence once we have completed and passed Courses 1-4 of the Graduate Diploma in New Zealand Immigration Advice, and once we have an approved supervision arrangement.
    This is where my question is: I'm happy to study part time and get the Diploma in 2 years instead of one but how about the supervision period of 2 years?
    Section 19(5) of the Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007 (the Act) requires that a person who holds a provisional licence must work under the direct supervision of an immigration adviser who holds a full licence.
    A provisional licence allows a person to provide immigration advice on all immigration matters while working under the direct supervision of a licensed immigration adviser (an adviser) with a full licence.

I got the information from this link:
    https://www.iaa.govt.nz/for-advisers...t-supervision/

What I don't know is if I can have another occupation (i.e my current one for which I can work part time) while I am supervised during the 2 years.
    Does anyone know ?
    Many thanks in advance

EGoodhue, an LIA who posts on this forum, will most likely be able to tell you, having been through this process herself.

Great! Looking forward to her feedback

Yes, you can work in any other job part-time while you are also working as an LIA being supervised.

Happy to answer any other questions about the Graduate Diploma - I'm currently still studying it and I am also currently being supervised :-)

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    Yes, you can work in any other job part-time while you are also working as an LIA being supervised.

Happy to answer any other questions about the Graduate Diploma - I'm currently still studying it and I am also currently being supervised :-)
    Thank you so much for proposing, that is really nice of you and will help me decide whether I go ahead now or later or not at all! I will prepare my set of questions and send you a PM Thanks again in advance.