Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dental service for children under 17 years old

Default Dental service for children under 17 years old

Hi, can anyone advise how the dental service work in NZ? I understand they only provides free basic oral health service for children. Would there be any fees for extract a tooth and what is the waiting time for public dental?

https://www.govt.nz/browse/health/gp...s/dental-care/ An extraction would be free for a child. I don't know about waiting times - can someone in NZ help? It may depend on where you are living.

A news story today about long waiting lists:
    "Toddler waits five months for treatment for rotten teeth, abscesses" https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...eeth-abscesses

That's so sad for the families.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonkiwi View Post
    A news story today about long waiting lists:
    "Toddler waits five months for treatment for rotten teeth, abscesses" https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...eeth-abscesses
    I think the health board in question objected to the statement...,

I was under the impression that cleanings would be free, but the local children’s clinic doesn’t do them. Mine have had exams and a filling for free, but I would have thought cleanings were basic preventative care. They said something about being understaffed so maybe that’s it, but at my own dentist I inquired about it, and the receptionist said kids aren’t considered “at risk” enough for the hard scale that would necessitate a cleaning? This sounds like nonsense to me, as kids don’t floss well and tend to eat lots of sugars and breads that get stuck in teeth. My next step is to call around and find a dentist who will take them, I don’t care if it costs money.

What is considered "normal" treatment varies in different countries. Of course, if you're sending them privately, you call the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    What is considered "normal" treatment varies in different countries. Of course, if you're sending them privately, you call the shots.
    Yes, I'm trying to figure out if this is normal nationally, or just something I'm running into locally. Cleanings do seem to be part of the standard free treatment for kids, but maybe only if the clinic deems it necessary? Not sure.
    https://www.health.govt.nz/your-heal...ed-dental-care

I don't know about in NZ, but certainly in the UK, if a National Health Service patient, you get a cleaning if and when the dentist decides you need it, along with STRONG advice and admonition about how to keep down the need for it.

My son is 15 so has been getting the free dental care at school for years. I asked him about cleanings, he says he's never had a cleaning. The dentist does an exam, tells him he has great teeth, and sends him back to class. He's had x-rays and fissure sealants, no fillings (yay). He's been to lots of different dental clinics which suggests that not doing cleaning is normal. (I'm guessing they do cleanings if needed but can't say for sure.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast