Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Born Visa application

Default New Born Visa application

Hello Everyone,

Apologies if it is a repetition.

I have been blessed with a baby this month in NZ. Me and my wife are not resident, therefore, no citizenship to the baby.

My wife is on NZ work visa and I am on NZ student visa.

My question is:

1. How to apply NZ visa for a new born, I mean the process and the form number and documents required.

2. I have applied for SMC residence visa, which is in the queue for CO allocation. At which stage I need to add my child or how ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Luckyone View Post
    1. How to apply NZ visa for a new born, I mean the process and the form number and documents required.
    What visa your child will have depends on the visas held by you and your partner when the child was born.

According to this article on the INZ website, you must submit a Request for Status of Immigration Form, providing a certified copy of your child's birth certificate and a certified copy of you and your partner's visas. INZ will then tell you what your child's immigration status is.

2. I have applied for SMC residence visa, which is in the queue for CO allocation. At which stage I need to add my child or how ?
    If I were personally in your situation, I would chat to the CO (when you get one) to see if the child can be added to the SMC application. If the answer is no, then there's the Dependent Child Resident Visa which can be applied for once your own Resident Visa is granted (though, note that the child will then have to qualify for a Permanent Resident Visa in his or her own right).

EDIT: As I typed this out, INZ broke the SSL configuration on their web server, so if you get any security certificate errors, try again later.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 21st May 2019 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    Congrats!

What visa your child will have depends on the visas held by you and your partner when the child was born.

According to this article on the INZ website, you must submit a Request for Status of Immigration Form, providing a certified copy of your child's birth certificate and a certified copy of you and your partner's visas. INZ will then tell you what your child's immigration status is.

If I were personally in your situation, I would chat to the CO (when you get one) to see if the child can be added to the SMC application. If the answer is no, then there's the Dependent Child Resident Visa which can be applied for once your own Resident Visa is granted (though, note that the child will then have to qualify for a Permanent Resident Visa in his or her own right).

EDIT: As I typed this out, INZ broke the SSL configuration on their web server, so if you get any security certificate errors, try again later.
    Thanks Kelerei, Appreciate your reply. It is indeed very clear explanation.

"Request for Status of Immigration Form" is I believe only guides which visa child would have. Do I need to then apply for a visa for the travel of a child in and out of NZ ?

We did mentioned that we are pregnant and due in May in our Residence visa application. If CO considers then it would save us from many hassle.

Cheers.

"Request for Status of Immigration Form" is I believe only guides which visa child would have. Do I need to then apply for a visa for the travel of a child in and out of NZ ?
    According to immigration instruction A17.1, your child is automatically deemed "to have the most favourable immigration status as the most favourable immigration status of either of the person’s parents at the time that he or she was born, as determined under the Immigration Act 2009.".

Then, if you read A17.5(a)(i), "if both parents held any type of temporary visa (other than a limited visa), the person is deemed to hold a temporary visa of the duration of the unexpired period of the visa of the parent whose temporary visa has the longest unexpired period".

EDIT: Oh, I see you're actually asking if the child will then be able to travel in and out of NZ. There's a bolded statement on the INZ1137 form mentioning your child's travel conditions -- or rather, lack thereof.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 21st May 2019 at 11:25 AM.

Hi

First of all congratulations on the birth of your little one.

When our wee man was born in June 2017 my partner was on an essential skills work visa in skilled employment and I was holding a partner of a work visa holder work visa. I spoke to a LIA and she advised he would have a visa which is valid until ours - May 2020 but he doesn’t have any travel conditions and for us to leave NZ and return with him we need to apply for a child of a worker visitor visa, we never requested the status of immigration for him. Even though he was born in NZ and had never left the country we needed a baby medical for him. Then we sent in the form with my partner’s and our son’s passports, photos, baby’s birth certificate and medical number to immigration. Visa was processed in less than 2 weeks and he had a visitor visa sticker in his passport. Very straight forward process.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...s-visitor-visa

I can’t advise on whether you can include your child in your already existing residency application.

If the application hasn't been finalised, INZ can normally add a newborn to it if you send in a copy of his/her birth certificate. You don't have to wait until you have a CO.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaB View Post
    Hi

First of all congratulations on the birth of your little one.

When our wee man was born in June 2017 my partner was on an essential skills work visa in skilled employment and I was holding a partner of a work visa holder work visa. I spoke to a LIA and she advised he would have a visa which is valid until ours - May 2020 but he doesn’t have any travel conditions and for us to leave NZ and return with him we need to apply for a child of a worker visitor visa, we never requested the status of immigration for him. Even though he was born in NZ and had never left the country we needed a baby medical for him. Then we sent in the form with my partner’s and our son’s passports, photos, baby’s birth certificate and medical number to immigration. Visa was processed in less than 2 weeks and he had a visitor visa sticker in his passport. Very straight forward process.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...s-visitor-visa

I can’t advise on whether you can include your child in your already existing residency application.
    Hi AnnaB,

Thank you so much sharing your experience and your wishes.

I have now requested to know the immigration status of new born. Because the baby might travel with her mom outside the country.

I will be applying for Visitor visa for child after the passport comes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If the application hasn't been finalised, INZ can normally add a newborn to it if you send in a copy of his/her birth certificate. You don't have to wait until you have a CO.
    Thanks JandM, I will post additional documents of the baby to immigration with my application number on it. You are absolutely correct that I do no need to wait for CO allocation.

I will be applying for Visitor visa for child after the passport comes.
    While there's nothing wrong with taking this route, it might turn out easier and simpler to apply for a variation of conditions instead. Keep in mind that your child is already deemed to be holding a visa (as per immigration instructions that I posted earlier), so you may not have need to do a new visa application.

The immigration status application simply informs you what temporary visa the child is deemed to have, and when it expires.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 22nd May 2019 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    While there's nothing wrong with taking this route, it might turn out easier and simpler to apply for a variation of conditions instead. Keep in mind that your child is already deemed to be holding a visa (as per immigration instructions that I posted earlier), so you may not have need to do a new visa application.

The immigration status application simply informs you what temporary visa the child is deemed to have, and when it expires.
    Hi Kelerei,

Thank you for your reply. What I understood that child deemed to have a visa based on parents visa condition. However, as you mentioned earlier that for travelling in and out child may need to have a visa, which is different from the one which child will get automatically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast