Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I resign my current job after having resident visa two months?

Default Can I resign my current job after having resident visa two months?

Hello everyone,
    Just want to seek advice from you guys especially JandM.
    As the principle applicant, I submitted my EOI application when I received my job offer in last year, which meant I hadn't been working at least three months with my current employer at the time my ITA was logged into the system. Then I have gained my resident visa in April, and there is not any employer conditions imposed on.
    My partner is thinking about taking a job offer located in another city. I would like to move to that city with my partner.
    But I am not sure whether I can resign my job immediately. Because I was told there is possibility that immigration officers will contact my current employer in three months to check my situation after I get my resident visa. In order words, at least I have to stay at my current job untill July (April-July, three months).
    Is this statement true of false? Do you guys have any idea?

Thank you in advance.

What actual wording is on your visa?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    What actual wording is on your visa?
    Hi JandM,
    below is the pictures of my visa.IMG_PITU_20190523_080320.jpg.jpgIMG_PITU_20190523_080612.jpg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lalala View Post
    Hi JandM,
    below is the pictures of my visa.IMG_PITU_20190523_080320.jpg.jpgIMG_PITU_20190523_080612.jpg.jpg
    Your visa does not have any Section 49 conditions, so you are free to do what you like.

Thanks, Chris.

Thank you

I had the same query with same resident visa conditions. This answers my question too. Thanks to this forum

Thank you Chris and JandM very much. I contacted immigration call centre today and they said I can change my job as well. The only concern is I am not sure whether immigration officers will contact my current employer to check whether I have resigned my job in three months. Is there any possibility for immigration officers to contact my current employer?

You’re free to move on. It would have been indicated as a condition on your visa. There are no surprises.

No! A Resident with no Section 49(1) conditions on their visa is no further concern of INZ - they have full rights to live and work in NZ as they wish. There is no earthly reason why anyone from INZ should talk to your current employer about you, and no criticism to be made of you if anyone told INZ that you had left that job and moved on. You have the absolute right to work at ANY job now, skilled or not, or drop out and do nothing if you were rich, or be a student (but you couldn't get a NZ government grant till 3 years after you became a Resident), and your choice is nobody's business but yours.

I wonder why you are so anxious. I'm thinking, maybe somebody 'helpful' has told you some tale of what happened to their brother's cousin's friend (or similar) in which everything went wrong. Many people on the forum have had something like that happen - they are happily making plans for their application, or the next phase once they have their visa, then a bystander comes up with a horror story to make them nervous. I know that some good friends act out of honest caution, but I'm sure that also, there is an unpleasant streak in human nature in some people that wants to wipe the smile off the face of someone who's got some good fortune, or who is doing something that needs some courage while they wait. Please tell yourself that such other people DON'T know your case inside out like INZ do, they HAVEN'T seen your paperwork, and even if they genuinely did once know someone who had a bad experience, they have no grounds for saying that your case is the same as that other person's situation.

Also, it's worth keeping in mind that the default Section 49(1) conditions applied to the Skilled Migrant Category actually don't restrict you to a specific employer -- but they do mean that one has to be careful if taking up new employment that such new employment meets the same criteria as the old employment for the grant of SMC points.

If one looks at the conditions that may be applied (over in SM11.5 of the ops manual), and look at what I personally view as the most restrictive condition (applied if the principal applicant is not currently in skilled employment but has an offer of skilled employment outside of Auckland, which is condition (c) in SM11.5), the wording is as follows:

(i) The principal applicant must take up that offer of skilled employment within three months of their first entry to New Zealand as a resident (if the visa was granted outside New Zealand), or the grant of their resident visa (if the visa was granted in New Zealand); and

(ii) The principal applicant must remain in that employment (or another position of employment that meets the requirements for current skilled employment including requirements for bonus points if the employment qualified for bonus points under SM6.40 or SM6.50), for a period of at least 12 months.

The rest of the conditions that may be applied have the same sort of wording, the difference being that part (i) is not applied if the principal applicant is already in skilled employment, and part (ii) is only applied for 3 months if no bonus points for employment outside of Auckland are claimed.

The key wording is: "... or another position of employment that meets the requirements for current skilled employment including requirements for bonus points if the employment qualified for bonus points...". If the Section 49(1) conditions contain that wording, then the principal applicant can resign, but the new position must meet the same requirements for skilled employment as the old. Particularly, there's another condition that will be applied stating: "The principal applicant must be remunerated for the employment at or above the level of remuneration [...] on the basis of which points for skilled employment were awarded, for the duration for which any conditions are imposed..." (this can also be found in SM11.5), so if the new position pays less than the old one, one can expect to run into difficulty later.

Realistically, I would guess that most people would prefer to just stick it out with their current employer until the Section 49(1) conditions are met and removed, just to avoid any potential hassle if INZ does not recognize the new employment as meeting the requirements for "current skilled employment" and/or if the new employment pays less than the old. Certainly, that's what I would aim to do if I were in that position -- in my experience, it pays to have a cautious approach when dealing with INZ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast