Thread: Work Visa Renewal Time

Default Work Visa Renewal Time

We recently submitted a SMC resident application, but, because of how long it is taking to process the applications we will not hear a decision before my work visa expires. SO... I had to submit another application to renew my work visa, my partner’s visa, and our son’s dependent student visa. What I’m wondering is if the process to renew a work visa is as arduous as it was to get the first work visa? They are saying it can take anywhere up to 4 months to make a decision — would that also be the case if it is to renew a current work visa? Are there any factors that might cause them to not renew it?

Also, I’m wondering — if the work visa is renewed, does it just extend my current visa by an additional two years, or, does the new two years start from when the renewal is approved, thereby cutting short a few months from my first work visa which doesn’t expire for another 6 months?

Thanks for your help.

They are saying it can take anywhere up to 4 months to make a decision — would that also be the case if it is to renew a current work visa?
    Probably, yes, it'll take at least that long. All visa paths seems to be affected by the current backlogs at INZ.
    Are there any factors that might cause them to not renew it?
    It's unlikely, as long as you're still in the same skilled job, and as you're going for residence on that basis.

About your other question, I don't know. Is there someone out there who has renewed a work visa (is it Essential Skills, by the way?), who can help with this?

If you've already submitted the ITA of SMC your ESV will be renewed for 1 year. The good thing is that your employer doesn't have to show to immigration that he tried to hire New Zealanders for your position.

I don’t know how it works with work visa renewal once residency application has been submitted but when we renewed our essential skills work visa it started the day it was granted and not the day our old one expired.

Hm — I need to clarify — I have the work Visa; my partner is here on a partner visa. He applied for an SMC residency Visa - not me. I just applied to have the work visa renewed because I wanted to make sure there were no issues with the possibility of not getting a response re: residency before my work Visa expires. So, I applied to renew my work visa, his partner visa and our son’s dependent child visa. Are you saying my work visa would only be renewed for 1 year if he has applied for residency?

Oh my. Well.. I guess that would make sense. But, here’s hoping the residency visa will be approved!

Out of curiosity — my partner got his current job 6 months after we were in NZ with his Partner visa and just recently applied for the SMC residence visa. Will his employer need to show they tried to hire a New Zealander for his position first?

Quote Originally Posted by Rease View Post
    Out of curiosity — my partner got his current job 6 months after we were in NZ with his Partner visa and just recently applied for the SMC residence visa. Will his employer need to show they tried to hire a New Zealander for his position first?
    If he applied for SMC then the answer is no.

I guess the best possible scenario for your situation will be for your partner to renew his work visa based on his SMC eligibility and makes him the principal applicant this time. Therefore, you don't need extra hassle from your employer to provide evidence to recruit NZers first.