Thread: INZ1000 Query regarding section J

Default INZ1000 Query regarding section J

Hi guys, I've read the guide and I'm slightly confused as to whether the section is relevant to me and whether I need to fill it out.

I am here on a work to residence visa and am here with my Wife and child. We're applying for our residence using the INZ 1000 form.

To me Section J reads like you should only fill it out if you're applying for residency because your partner is a NZ citizen.

Infact the remaining sections do not appear to be relevant to me as a LTSS work visa holder.

Please can one of the local knowledgeable people please confirm I don't need to fill Section J out and I've read it correctly?

Sorry for the silly question if its obvious, I've been reading these forms for so long I've ended up convincing myself because I have a wife and child I need to fill out every section that says wife/dependent.

Thanks as usual for your help/feedback

To me Section J reads like you should only fill it out if you're applying for residency because your partner is a NZ citizen.
    Correct. As it says in the heading, Family: Partnership Category - and that is NOT your basis for applying.

This form is used for applying for Residence in various circumstances, so there are bound to be sections which are for other people's situation(s), not yours. When you come to something irrelevant to you, you write N/A (not applicable), then the INZ clerks will know that you haven't accidentally missed out that part, but have deliberately passed over it.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Correct. As it says in the heading, Family: Partnership Category - and that is NOT your basis for applying.

This form is used for applying for Residence in various circumstances, so there are bound to be sections which are for other people's situation(s), not yours. When you come to something irrelevant to you, you write N/A (not applicable), then the INZ clerks will know that you haven't accidentally missed out that part, but have deliberately passed over it.
    Thankyou JandM, you're like some kind of Immigration Batman helping us all

For anyone else stumbling across this thread, the INZ 1002 guide gives guidance on how to fill out the INZ 1000 form.

It contains the following statement (emphasis my own):

Answer all the questions in sections A-H that apply to you or to any family members included in your residence application. If a question does not apply to you, write ‘N/A’ or ‘not applicable’ in the box so we know you have not accidentally missed a question. When you have completed sections A-H, you should then complete the section for the category you are applying under, and then Section P: Declaration, Section Q: Immigration adviser’s details, Section R: Declaration by person assisting the applicant (if required) and Section S: Paying your application fee and immigration levy.

Then, on the INZ 1000 form itself, on the page with the section A-H checklist (immediately before section I), it states which section you need to fill in. The following bullet points are quoted directly from the INZ 1000 form:

• If you are applying under Residence from Work Category (including the South Island Contribution resident visa) go to Section I: Residence from Work Category.
    • If you are applying under Family: Partnership Category go to Section J: Family: Partnership Category.
    • If you are applying under Family: Dependent Child Category go to Section K: Family: Dependent Child Category.
    • If you are applying under Refugee Family Support Category go to Section L: Refugee Family Support Category.
    • If you are applying under Pacific Access Category go to Section M: Pacific Access Category.
    • If you are applying under Samoan Quota Scheme go to Section N: Samoan Quota Scheme.
    • If you are applying under Employees of a Relocating Business Category go to Section O: Employees of a Relocating Business Category

Quite right, I discovered last night the version I was working off was the August 18 and it has since been updated with more clear guidance.