Thread: Your favorite space heater, dehumidifier?

Default Your favorite space heater, dehumidifier?

I’m at Briscoes and have no idea what to select. I want something I can plug into the kids’ room to get it warm before bedtime. The dehumidifier would be rotated around the house as needed, the biggest space would be the garage when I have laundry hanging.

Do you have any favorite brands/models? I am completely unimpressed by wall panel heaters, we’ve had those in a few rentals. I can’t install a heat pump because it’s not our house, and I don’t want to use oil, just electricity.

Thanks!

Ceramic heaters are the way to go.Warm a room very quickly.We have one in our community centre and it is very ecconomical
    De'longhi TCH7092er Digital tower ceramic heater
    Not that cheap but very effective.Think we paid approx $160 from Briscoes when they had a sale on

We have panel heaters in our bathrooms and the hallway, not the 'usual' thin ones, but Dimplex/ NOBO brand.., as far as I remember they are originally designed in Norway and do a really good job.

Thank you both! I will look into that :-)

For heating my son's bedroom before bedtime I use a small oil column heater (despite having "oil" in the name, they're just another kind of electric heater) and will leave it on low overnight if it's really cold.

For quick heating I use a radiant heater ( like this https://www.briscoes.co.nz/electrica...nt-Heater.html )

If you're looking for a dehumidifier to move around the house, make sure it's not too heavy to carry.

There are some good guides online about choosing the right heater for your space.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonkiwi View Post
    For heating my son's bedroom before bedtime I use a small oil column heater (despite having "oil" in the name, they're just another kind of electric heater) and will leave it on low overnight if it's really cold.
    Oh I didn’t realize that! When it had some feature like a tipping safety guard, I thought that was to avoid spilling fuel or something. Must be to prevent setting the curtains on fire though.

People seem quite happy with this dehumidifier, based on the reviews.
    http://www.briscoes.co.nz/electrical...difier-1038850

The oil is sealed inside, and is what gets heated up.

When I lived in a drafty old house in the US, I used to use an oil heater as mentioned above to keep the bedroom warm. That house wasn't too much different from your average Kiwi house, in that, when the windows were closed, you were always wondering if they were still open. In my opinion, it worked really well and used less electricity than the other types of heaters.