Thread: speeding ticket - PR application

Default speeding ticket - PR application

Hi I have an old question which was posted by diff people with diff answers so I am confused now...

I got a speeding ticket last week - exceeded the speed limit by about 6 kmh. I am going to apply for the PR next week but for the question: Have you ever been ... charged with, convicted of or investigated for any offences committed (including traffic or driving offences) since being granted New Zealand residence...? I will let the CO know "paid infringements only". I saw diff answers and I am confused with the word "investigated". Should I tick Yes or No? No charge or convict at all. Please suggest.
    Thanks guys.

Is just an Infringement. I will suggest You put yes and explain that it was an infringement and you can attach the receipt of payment if need be .

That's correct - 'yes' and 'paid infringement only'.

Oops...my husband completely forgot he had a speeding ticket in the first year of his arrival and paid for it.
    Should he write to INZ and add this information???

It's not essential. Saying 'yes, paid infringement only' is being super-careful to give the whole picture (kind of saying, 'Look, aren't I being honest here?'), and isn't truly necessary, because an infringement is NOT an offence, and that's what the question asks. Anyone who only had a ticket can strictly speaking answer 'no' to this question.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It's not essential. Saying 'yes, paid infringement only' is being super-careful to give the whole picture (kind of saying, 'Look, aren't I being honest here?'), and isn't truly necessary, because an infringement is NOT an offence, and that's what the question asks. Anyone who only had a ticket can strictly speaking answer 'no' to this question.
    Thanks JandM. I'm relieved. Anything that can wipe away any doubt on us being good and honest people helps indeed.
    Will think of this if we apply for citizenship

Thanks everyone. Very helpful

The NZ government treat motoring law VERY seriously, so in the time between residence and PR/citizenship, it's worth bearing in mind that repeated infringements, even, can make them delay the grant. The thinking seems to be that treating infringements against NZ law as though they don't matter shows that the applicant doesn't have a good character.

Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    The NZ government treat motoring law VERY seriously, so in the time between residence and PR/citizenship, it's worth bearing in mind that repeated infringements, even, can make them delay the grant. The thinking seems to be that treating infringements against NZ law as though they don't matter shows that the applicant doesn't have a good character.
    Agree. Thank you JandM. This is my first ticket in 5 years since we moved to NZ... I will be more careful in the future
    Thanks