Thread: Missing the deadline

Default Missing the deadline

Hi guys,

Can someone please advise what happens if the CO requests additional documents to be submitted by certain date and one miss the deadline ?

I can't answer that but if I know for certain (or are not sure but it's likely) that I'm going to miss the deadline for any reason then I would contact my CO and let them know (email back and give them a call just to be sure).

My experience is that they will grant you the extension that you have requested, but try to be reasonable with it and at least give them a reason why.

I would try not to miss the deadline on purpose. If you do then as far as I know they would have every right to decline your application.

Agreed.

A while ago, the NZ government instructed INZ only to give very short deadlines, in the belief that this would speed up processing. In reality, INZ COs understand that people can't magic up evidence in no time flat, particularly if it involves having to get a response from third parties, or getting original documents sent from overseas, so if an applicant gets in contact before the deadline to say what they have done about getting what is required, and showing proof (such as copies of emails sent and received), they will normally allow a reasonable amount of extra time without difficulty. However, if the applicant doesn't make contact, and doesn't supply what has been asked for, the CO has the right to go ahead and assess the case WITHOUT the proof that they felt was necessary, which would probably mean a negative outcome.

If you've missed a deadline, or think you will, get in touch with the CO as soon as you can, and you may be able to rescue the situation.