Thread: Difference of RV to PRV in terms of employability

Default Difference of RV to PRV in terms of employability

Good day everyone.

While I’m browsing for a job openings, I’ve noticed that there are some companies who are only looking for NZ citizens or Permanent Residents. Does having a residence visa will restrict you on getting this job? Does the travel conditions on your RV will affect if you wanted to work in Aviation field?

Thanks very much for your help!

Best regards to everyone.

In most cases, when a company asks for PR holders, they are using old terminology. Until November 2010, the visa you got if successful under the Skilled Migrant Category was called "permanent residence" (with travel conditions), at which time they changed the name to just "residence", though the person's situation was just the same - they have the right to live and work in NZ forever. Unless someone is closely concerned with INZ regulations, like we all are here, they don't have any reason to keep up with stuff like that, with the result that there are STILL websites, leaflets and job ads, some even from other departments of the NZ government, saying PR when they mean residence. Many forum members have got jobs after pointing out that actually, they have the permanent right to live and work in NZ. The two years' travel conditions on a residence visa shouldn't make a difference to a career in aviation - they give the right to come and go freely - but you would need to bear in mind that you need to spend at least 184 days in NZ in each of the 12 month periods before you apply for PR, in order to show commitment to NZ, so you would need to think about how long you have to be abroad regularly if you are, for instance, an airline pilot.

Hi JandM.

Thank you very much for your reply and for helping us to understand things which for us are very new.

One more question if you don’t mind Will INZ still count the number of times you’ve exited the country (NZ) even if you’re practically still based in NZ and obviously working for an NZ company?

Thanks again.

Best Regards.

Absolutely, yes, to the day. The INZ computer registers every time your passport is scanned, coming and going. Also, notice that INZ count backwards from the date of application for PR, so if you're using the "time spent in NZ" criterion for showing commitment to New Zealand, there have to be 184 days in the country during the 12 months before that date, then another 184 days in the 12 months before that again.

One of the criteria is also "established base in NZ," which you can show by having full-time employment in NZ for 9 months. If you travel a lot for a NZ company, that could allow you to qualify faster than the 184-day rule. (There are a few other requirements to fill, such as presence of yourself and your family for a certain number of days, but fewer than for the physical presence criterion.)

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Absolutely, yes, to the day. The INZ computer registers every time your passport is scanned, coming and going. Also, notice that INZ count backwards from the date of application for PR, so if you're using the "time spent in NZ" criterion for showing commitment to New Zealand, there have to be 184 days in the country during the 12 months before that date, then another 184 days in the 12 months before that again.
    Thank you so much JandM! I will think about this problem later. For the meantime, I’ll wait for my residency first 😅

Once again, thank you and best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by parpalhou View Post
    One of the criteria is also "established base in NZ," which you can show by having full-time employment in NZ for 9 months. If you travel a lot for a NZ company, that could allow you to qualify faster than the 184-day rule. (There are a few other requirements to fill, such as presence of yourself and your family for a certain number of days, but fewer than for the physical presence criterion.)
    Then if that’s the case, does that mean, once I received my residency and been employed for NZ company for 9 months as a full time, I can apply for PR?

Thanks Parlpalhou.

No, it doesn't.

See here.
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident
    If you were the principal applicant of the original residence application, you can obtain a Permanent Resident Visa if you:

have held your resident visa for at least two years, and
    have met any conditions of your Resident Visa, and
    have shown a commitment to New Zealand in one of the five ways that meet our requirements.
    (my bolding)

Then click on the radio button to see the various possible ways to show commitment to New Zealand.