Thread: Passport renewal and residence visa transfer

Default Passport renewal and residence visa transfer

Hi there,

My (non NZ) passport will expire in June 2020 and I wanted to apply for the renewal of my passport this month. I am a residence visa holder since September 2018.

The passport renewal process may take upto 2 months, so I was wondering how and when should I apply for the transfer of my residence class visa?

Do I need to keep INZ informed about my passport renewal before hand or should I just apply for a transfer once I have the new passport? How will the time between when I get my new passport and when I apply for a visa transfer be accounted for? Will there be any issues for this time period? I know I should definitely not consider traveling out of the country during this time, but is there something else I need to be mindful of?

Thanks!

This page contains the information you need, but to reiterate some specifics:

• As you need to provide your new passport (or a certified copy -- though INZ will likely want to sight the original, judging by other threads on here) with your application, there's no point in applying for the transfer before you receive your new passport. For rather obvious reasons, you should lodge the transfer application as soon as possible once you've received your new passport.
    • There's no need to inform INZ about the passport renewal beforehand: the visa transfer application itself is how you inform them.
    • You also need to provide a certified copy of your old passport with the application (again, INZ may ask for the original, but given that they would have likely already sighted it, this should be a rare request). If your passport is lost/stolen, you need to provide a police report stating this; if your country does not return old passports with the new one, you must provide a cover letter stating this.
    • You will remain a resident between you receiving your new passport and the visa transfer being completed.
    • Generally, it's inadvisable to travel during the time period between you receiving your new passport and the visa transfer being completed (and passport returned to you) -- for reasons that, once again, should be rather obvious! You may be able to get away with it if your country doesn't invalidate the previous passport when they issue the new one: some countries are quite happy to let the previous passport expire on its own, but others (notably the UK) will immediately cancel your old passport when the new one is issued.

My situation was same like yours. Got my passport renewed in 30 working days. Sent certified copies of old and new passport as well as completed 'Application for Transfer or Confirmation of a Visa (INZ 1023)' form.

The new resident visa will have new start date and new passport details, however for case of PR the travel conditions date remains the same as ur initial resident visa so u don’t lose those months.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a-new-passport