Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple visas?

Default Multiple visas?

Hi there!

Looking for an answer to my situation.

I'm currently here on a essential skills work visa (that expires in less than two weeks!!!!)

A few months ago I applied for a partnership based work visa, thinking it'd be easier and allow me to leave my employer if I ever wanted.

However, less than two weeks before my current visa expires and it hasnt been processed. I called immigration today and they confirmed it hasn't been assigned to an officer.

Now, I didn't think this was a problem since I thought I could work on the interim visa (but apparently not since I'm applying for a partnership work visa)

So, I'm thinking I'll apply for another essential skills work visa so that I can keep working on the interim visa supplied by the essential skills visa.

But, will this interfere/cancel the other visa? I.e. if I get the partnership work visa, and then the essential skills work visa comes through, will the essential skills work visa cancel out the partnership one?

My original plan was also to submit the paperwork for my partnership-based residency around this time, but perhaps it's best to wait?

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I'm a bit stressed! Thank you

If you are granted the partner-sponsored work visa, you can then withdraw the unneeded ESV application.

Notice, if you intend to apply for a further ESV, you have to meet once again all the criteria for the visa, like you did the first time round. This could be difficult in the time pressure if your job is such that your employer has to advertise it - see in Availability of New Zealanders, here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria You can't put in any further application when once you are on an interim visa.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If you are granted the partner-sponsored work visa, you can then withdraw the unneeded ESV application.

Notice, if you intend to apply for a further ESV, you have to meet once again all the criteria for the visa, like you did the first time round. This could be difficult in the time pressure if your job is such that your employer has to advertise it - see in Availability of New Zealanders, here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria You can't put in any further application when once you are on an interim visa.
    Thanks JandM, I was hoping I could just withdraw the ESV application if/when the partner visa is accepted! Good to hear that's acceptable.

I rang Immigration today to ask specifically about those requirements (advertising the role), and they told me to just copy all of the information from my first ESV, and then get my employer to write a note saying that I'm still under their employ, and thus haven't needed to advertise for anyone else.

I can see that would work, if your job is of the kind not to meet this criterion.
    The job you’ve been offered is on one of the Essential Skills in Demand Lists and you meet the qualification and work experience requirements listed for your occupation.
    Otherwise, be aware that other people HAVE had it required that the employer advertise their own job out from under them, to justify the issue of a further ESV, in case their might NOW be New Zealanders available to take the place.

Hmmmm good to know! When I upload the letter from my employer I will note that I was advised by Immigration New Zealand to do just that.

However I'll also contact my recruiter who found me the job (and wrote a note to immigration about how it was hard to find talented people in my industry in New Zealand for the first ESV) and ask her to do the same!

Thanks again

Someone told me that if you submit a temporary work visa while another is processing, that the one being processed will be cancelled automatically, anyone heard this?

Who was the person? What was their source?

Who was the person? What was their source?
    It was someone else on the internet, so probably not the most reliable .

I'll call Immigration this weekend and sort it out. They made a comment last time I called that I've contacted them a few times with questions and they didn't seem too pleased haha.

cheers

I can see that would work, if your job is of the kind not to meet this criterion.
    Otherwise, be aware that other people HAVE had it required that the employer advertise their own job out from under them, to justify the issue of a further ESV, in case their might NOW be New Zealanders available to take the place.
    Quick update .

Rang Immigration. They told me not to submit a ESV on top of my partnership work visa, as Immigration won't know if my intention is to stay with my partner, or to work. Seeing as my current visa expires in a week and a half, they recommended I withdraw my partnership work visa, then apply for an ESV as the ESV interim visa will allow me to keep working. They also told me to upload a cover letter requesting a quick outcome to my case, however it seems the Hamilton office is just super backed up so I feel it'll fall on deaf ears.

So I guess I have to withdraw my application/start a new ESV one .

Would I be safe to apply for a partnership work residency and a ESV at the same time? Thanks again for your help! Stressful situation.
    Last edited by adamvk; 19th July 2019 at 12:31 PM.

Third update! Spoke with an immigration lawyer who told me NOT to withdraw my application and upload an ESV. She's wanting quite a bit of money to draft a letter to immigration to expedite the process, how effective is this? I already uploaded my own CV requesting an expedited review. Is a lawyer doing the same that much more effective?

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast