Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Points Claim (LTSSL & Work Experience)

Question Points Claim (LTSSL & Work Experience)

Hi there,

After playing around with the Points Indicator for Skilled Migrant Expression of Interest, a few doubts have arisen on how may points I'd be able to claim.

I currently have skilled employment (ANZSCO Level 2 with the required annual salary with a relevant recognised qualification). That skilled employment is also listed in the Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL). However, the requirements on that list are quite different from the ones listed by ANZSCO. Whereas ANZSCO asks for a NZ Register Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2), the LTSSL asks for a Bachelor Degree AND a minimum of 3 years' relevant post-qualification work experience. So, in short, I meet the requirements demanded by ANZSCO but not the ones from the LTSSL. It looks quite contradictory to ask for 2 different requirements for the same skilled employment. Is there any workaround for this situation? Or is that just the way it is?

My other question is about skilled work EXPERIENCE. So I could claim a couple of years' experience at my current employment. However, what I'm interested in is that it seems I could also claim points for "a different occupation at skill level 1, 2 or 3". So, back in my country of origin, I worked 5 years at a different industry, doing something completely irrelevant to my current job. That occupation matches one of ANZSCO's list at level 3 and I meet its requirements. Am I all good to go to claim those points?

Let me know if these questions are too abstract and you need more information. Anyway, thanks in advanced for your help.

What is the skilled job?

I think the requirements on LTSSL only apply if you want to get residence based on "LTSSL work to residence pathway". If you want to go with SMC pathway just the requirements on ANZSCO will suffice.

Also, you can claim the extra points from your other work experience even though it's not relevant with your current occupation.

Maybe someone who have the experience can confirm.
    Last edited by cakes88; 22nd July 2019 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jandm View Post
    what is the skilled job?
    313112 ICT Customer Support Officer (Unit Group 3131 ICT Support Technicians)

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    What is the skilled job?
    Hey, sorry for bringing this thread to the top by repeating my answer, but I'd really appreciate your point of view in the matter.

So my skilled job is 313112 ICT Customer Support Officer (Unit Group 3131 ICT Support Technicians)

Please bear in mind that I'm in a different time zone from you. If I don't make an instant answer, it may be because I'm living my day-to-day life (as I come online in my spare time, being nothing official, just a member of the public), or asleep!

I will look at this shortly, and come back to you.

You are right, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to rush you. I thought this thread got lost at the bottom and despite of your amazing attitude you just missed it.

cakes88 is correct.

Looking here https://skillshortages.immigration.g...pport-officer/ the heading Skill Level Classification has this.
    Requirements to claim points for skilled employment

Remuneration thresholds are now used as an additional way of defining skill.
    To be classified as skilled for the Skilled Migrant Category you need to be either;
    ANZSCO level 1-3 AND paid at or above $25.00 per hour ($52,000 per year based on a 40 hour week)
    OR
    ANZSCO level 4-5 AND paid at or above $37.50 per hour ($78,000 per year based on a 40 hour week)

You also must be qualified in one of the following ways:
    you have a relevant recognised qualification at or above the level described in the ANZSCO,
    OR
    you have the relevant work experience that ANZSCO states will substitute for a formal qualification (for any skill level 1 occupation you can substitute the qualification specified by the ANZSCO with 5 years of work experience, even if the ANZSCO does not state this),
    OR
    your occupation is included on the Long Term Skill Shortage List and you meet its requirements,
    OR
    your employment requires occupational registration in New Zealand by law and you hold full or provisional registration for your occupation.
    category
    Related visa: Skilled Migrant Category

If you have enough points and meet the requirements then you may be eligible to apply for a Resident Visa under the Skilled Migrant Category. This category of visa allows you to live and work in New Zealand indefinitely and access most publicly funded services. The first step towards applying for this visa is to submit an Expression of Interest.
    Notice, it says near the end that this relates to the Skilled Migrant Category. So to get your points for skilled employment, you must satisfy the level of remuneration required, and just ONE of the ways mentioned of showing that you are qualified for the work - and one of those is the ANZSCO requirement. (For SMC, you don't need to be qualified as for the LTSSL list if you meet one of the other criteria.)

And yes, you can claim points for proven skilled work experience in your other career. SM7.10.20. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66799.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Unkikonki View Post
    You are right, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to rush you. I thought this thread got lost at the bottom and despite of your amazing attitude you just missed it.
    That's okay. I will now go and have my breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    cakes88 is correct.

Looking here https://skillshortages.immigration.g...pport-officer/ the heading Skill Level Classification has this.
    Notice, it says near the end that this relates to the Skilled Migrant Category. So to get your points for skilled employment, you must satisfy the level of remuneration required, and just ONE of the ways mentioned of showing that you are qualified for the work - and one of those is the ANZSCO requirement. (For SMC, you don't need to be qualified as for the LTSSL list if you meet one of the other criteria.)

And yes, you can claim points for proven skilled work experience in your other career. SM7.10.20. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66799.htm
    That's really valuable information, thanks heaps for that!

Just one last thing. So to claim points for the skilled employment I will have to go through the ANZSCO requirements, got it. It will also be great if I could claim points for "working in an area of absolute skills shortage", since my occupation is in that list. In this case, I guess I would have to provide the evidence required by LTSSL for my skilled job, even if it's different from the evidence required by ANZSCO for the same occupation. So, in short, claiming points for a single occupation for both skilled employment and skills shortage is done in 2 different non-related ways; one way is directed by ANZSCO standards while the other follows LTSSL rules. Is that correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast