Thread: Did not submit for evisa transfer to new passport

Default Did not submit for evisa transfer to new passport

Hi guys, depressing mode here and needs your advice.

I have recently renewed my passport in my home country (out of NZ) and have been travelling to other country with my new passport.

Because of the urgency travelling to another country with my new passport, I do not have time to apply for my evisa transfer and now I need to return to NZ in a few days time.

Now the question is, can I still use my evisa at my old passport to enter to NZ as I have both new and old passport with me at the immigration counter arrival?

I can't wait for the evisa transfer processing as I do not have the waiting timeframe to get back to NZ.

Thanks in advance guys

I haven't seen this exact scenario mentioned before, but I'm afraid I very much doubt that this will work. Certainly, when all visas were labels in passports, it's quite a few years ago now since people were stopped from using a visa in an OLD passport alongside their new one. Airlines have the onus put on them to check that anyone wanting to board an inbound plane has a visa in proper order, with heavy fines if they let anyone embark without.

Quote Originally Posted by derekleegh View Post
    Hi guys, depressing mode here and needs your advice.

I have recently renewed my passport in my home country (out of NZ) and have been travelling to other country with my new passport.

Because of the urgency travelling to another country with my new passport, I do not have time to apply for my evisa transfer and now I need to return to NZ in a few days time.

Now the question is, can I still use my evisa at my old passport to enter to NZ as I have both new and old passport with me at the immigration counter arrival?

I can't wait for the evisa transfer processing as I do not have the waiting timeframe to get back to NZ.

Thanks in advance guys
    Most likely that you will be denied boarding in the country you are travelling from. The airline might seek to get confirmation by contacting Border Control in Auckland and explaining the situation. and this getting permission to board you, but that cant be guaranteed.

Thanks for the advice guys.

But I am a Malaysian does not need a visa to enter to NZ. Will that still prevent me from getting onto the plane to NZ?

A Malaysian wanting to enter as a visitor can use the visa-waiver system, but that is not your situation - you are a Malaysian who holds a NZ visa to live and work there, which is not in correct order, being linked to the old passport. Therefore, yes, that CAN be grounds for the airline refusing to allow you onto a plane.

Hi All,

Thanks, JandM and ChrisMwn for your advice. I am currently back into NZ and will share my experience with everyone here.

So I took my flight from Malaysia to Singapore for transit before heading back to NZ.

At Malaysia, I have passed them my new passport, old passport and printed version of e-visa. The staff did help me to key in the info and without hassle, I am able to board the plane using my new passport.

In Singapore, there's another checking and this time the checking is more strict compared to Malaysia. The ground staff made a call to Immigration NZ to confirm my details. I have also passed them my new passport, old passport and printed version of e-visa. The immigration staff over the phone then helped to allow my entry after confirming my details but comes with a warning of no second time and I must transfer my work visa once I am back into NZ. By the time i reached NZ border, I am able to pass without any issue by using my new passport. Probably my work visa has then been transferred to my new visa or just a small note in the system?

Overall, this is a risky situation and I shall never repeat it again. If anyone faces a similar issue with me, just make sure you have the printed e-visa and old passport with you. This will allow them to process faster as I saw some people are delaying the process as they do not have the printed e-visa